Dewitt Clinton or similar "look" suggestions, please

Started by WriterGal, January 07, 2014, 12:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

I forgot to lable the DeWitt Clinton which is the bottom pic, top pic is the Layfayette, and middle is the John Bull all work OK for me but I had to run them a little above realistic speed(30 SMPH(30 Scale Miles Per Hour)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Doneldon

Writer-

The Civil War era models are large enough to operate reliably but still have much of the charm factor of the very earliest trains. They do very well on small layouts with tight curves. (But I still wouldn't go tighter than 18-inch radius curves.) There is quite a good selection of motive power and rolling stock, including passenger equipment. You won't necessarily find much of it at hobby shops (except for some 4-4-0 locos and "Overton" passenger cars) but there is always stuff on eBay. You can go to HO and then do a search for Civil War or Old Time. Be aware, however, that many people interpret anything not currently on real rails as Old Time. So you'll get a lot of stuff which is much later than the Civil War era, like a hundred years later. Civil War is the best search.
                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

WriterGal

BaltoOhioRRfan, thanks for your info on these. I would like to find as "early" period trains as possible and it's good to know these work ok for you at a higher speed.   :)
WriterGal

WriterGal

Doneldon, thanks for your information. I will try searching ebay using your suggestions. I rely on online shopping most of the time because of living out in the country. I did a hobby store search a while back and the NEAREST one to me is 100 miles away. A few trips there and I could start my own railroad for real with the cost of fuel. LOL  :)
WriterGal