News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to On30 2-8-0

Started by gtwralph, January 07, 2014, 09:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtwralph

I am new to On30.  I have a Bachmann Spectrum Little River 2-8-0 # 25963. It is DCC-equipped.
I would like to add sound to the engine.  Can this be done and how hard would it be?

Thanks for your help!

Ralph

Stevelewis

It should not  be  difficult,

You will needd to  source  a sutable  sound decoder and a  speaker   not sure  what  the  avaiabilty is  over  there, but possibly Digitrax will do a  suitabe  one,

It is  simply a case of removing  the tender  bady to gain access to th  intterior,  mount the speaker in the  base after  removing the  pcb.  (  I think the  tender base will already be moulded to accept a speaker  if not it will be  nescessary to drill a  few 1/8" holes to let  the  sound  out.

The new  sound decoder  is  then plugged in to the 8 pin socket (assuming it  is  8 pin) on the pcb  after  removing  the  original decoder.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

richg

Since Bachmann uses SoundTraxx products, below is a link to the SoundTraxx site with a decoder selector.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

Below is a link that will show you how to attach the Tsunami decoder to the eight pin socket in the tender.
Look in SoundTraxx, Tsunami.
Do yourself a favour, take time to look thought the SoundTraxx site and Mr DCC site. You will develop a lot of knowledge about DCC. Sure beats being led by the hand. You get a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Below is a sound install by Jonathan. This guy is great for tutorials. It is HO scale but might be close enough to help.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16616.0.html

Rich

gtwralph

Steve and Rich thanks for your reply's and your help.  I will  take a look at the  links tonight.  I am new to On30 so I am sure I will have a few questions in the future.  Thanks again.

Ralph

fm_tx

Ralph,

I've done this several times.  It is pretty easy to add sound to an On30 2-8-0.  My first sound-install was into one of these. 

The Soundtraxx Tsunami TSU-1000 fits easily in the tender, along with a speaker.  The new TCS WOW sound decoders are really nice too, but they don't have full JMRI support yet.  The Soundtraxx documentation is better than the TCS documentation.  Both companies have documentation on their web sites.  I am beginning to like the TCS WOW decoder better than the Tsunami, but without JMRI, the TCS WOW is harder to program.

I remove the original Bachmann circuit board and hard-wire the decoder, although you can leave it in place and use an 8-pin plug and plug directly into the Bachmann decoder socket.  The Soundtraxx Tsunami has a removable wiring harness.  For a few extra dollars you can get a harness with the 9-pin JST connector on one end to plug into the Tsunami and an 8-pin NMRA plug on the other end to plug into the Bachmann circuit board.  If you remove the Bachmann board and hardwire directly (my personal preference), remember to include resistors for the head/backup lights.  A 1000 ohm resistor works fine.  Radio Shack has little packets of 5 resistors for about a buck.

I have used the high-bass speaker from Soundtraxx in this locomotive.  It sits a little higher, but there is still room for the TSU-1000.  Be sure to seal all openings (except the speaker grill) into the tender shell (I use latex caulk from Home Depot).  It will really improve the sound quality if the back-side of the speaker enclosure is air-tight.  If you go with the TSU-1000, you can adjust the sound a little with their equalizer...it can really improve the sound to tweak it a little for the acoustics of the tender body.  Again, this is easiest using JMRI.

The Soundtraxx TSU-1000 and TCS WOW decoders both have extra function wires....consider adding working classification lights, tender markers, cab light or firebox light while you have it opened up.   Precision Scale makes some nice marker and classification light housings.  A 3mm LED fits nicely in their marker light; I use 0603 green & white LEDs in the classification light housings.

Have fun....take your time...and be sure you KNOW (don't guess) which wires you are connecting.

Paul   

Steve Magee

Hi Ralph

The 2-8-0 has a lovely tender for adding sound, big enough to fit the QSI 1.57" HiBass which repays the little bit of extra work installing it - cut out the tender speaker grill completely, shape some scale timber (2" scale thickness in O scale) around the face of the speaker to allow the diaphragm to move, glue some stocking material across the tender floor to keep stuff out).

I did have a Tsunami light steam installed, but was unsatisfied with its running qualities and the whistle selection - chuff was so-so to ok. Replaced it with a WOW 101 decoder. Chalk and cheese. Much prefer the WOW. WOW decoders, apart from sound, program readily on Decoder Pro. For sound, use Audio Assist or preferably the programming tool on the TCS website:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Technical_Info/WOWSound/guided_programming_vers2.php

Program the values shown on the 4 CV panels directly into the loco using POM (Program On Main).

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust