"unlettered" locomotive and tender

Started by WriterGal, January 07, 2014, 04:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WriterGal

Hi y'all. I have found an "unlettered" Bachmann locomotive and tender on ebay. Is this something to stay away from or is it considered "okay" to use? Thanks for your suggestions.  :)
WriterGal

richg

You gave us hardly any info.
Scale?
Type of loco, steam or diesel?
Any other details that might give us a clue?
What details by the seller?
DC or DCC?
Asking price?
I think you get the idea now.
I know you don't want the chance someone here would bid above you.

Rich

rogertra

"Undecorated" or "undec" locos used to be quite common, all manufacturers used to make them but sadly that trend is dying away.

So there's nothing wrong with an "undec" loco.  Practically every locomotive I have ever purchased, steam or diesel, has been an "undec".

WriterGal

Hi. Sorry for not giving more info. It's an unlettered Bachmann HO Prairie 2-6-2 w/ Tender w/ smoke. Supposedly not used but pre owned. That's all I know.
WriterGal

richg

Those are the standard line. No idea if the loco has the old pancake motor or newer can motor.

A diagram of one with the can motor is in the Parts page.

Some try to convert to DCC. The tender wheels are plastic. No pickups. The loco drivers pick up power.

What price?
Bachmann retail price is $125.00. No idea what the going price is on line.

Rich

WriterGal

Rich, I assume one type of motor is "better" or preferred over the other (pancake/can)? If plastic wheels are not as good as metal, can they be replaced or is this a big expense/hassle? The opening bid price is $20.00 with $10.00 shpg. Here's the link- http://www.ebay.com/itm/171208282893?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
WriterGal

richg

Yes the wheels can be replaced with metal wheels if you want to add pickups. If all you want is DC operation, you should be good with the basic loco.

Rich

Pacific Northern

The picture on the e-bay ad shows very old stock.

Quite frankly I am not sure if that engine is one of the locomotives with the old pancake motor or not.

The newer Bachmann engines come in a Blue Box with the cellophane window.

You need to see the parts sheet that comes with each locomotive to determine just how old the item is if it is not in a blue box.
Pacific Northern

richg

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 07, 2014, 06:45:35 PM

Quite frankly I am not sure if that engine is one of the locomotives with the old pancake motor or not.

You need to see the parts sheet that comes with each locomotive to determine just how old the item is if it is not in a blue box.

Ask the seller for any other details.

I just looked at the diagram of 0-6-0 with can motor and pancake motor and not sure I would be able to tell the difference with the shell in place. I suspect the 2-6-2 might be based on the 0-6-0.

One diagram I found shows a 2-6-2 with smoke that has a pancake motor. It is labelled, 2-6-2 Prairie 1990 at HO Seeker.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on January 07, 2014, 07:13:03 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 07, 2014, 06:45:35 PM

Ask the seller for any other details.

I just looked at the diagram of 0-6-0 with can motor and pancake motor and not sure I would be able to tell the difference with the shell in place. I suspect the 2-6-2 might be based on the 0-6-0.

One diagram I found shows a 2-6-2 with smoke that has a pancake motor. It is labelled, 2-6-2 Prairie 1990 at HO Seeker.

Rich

Both the 0-6-0 and the older (non DCC Sound) 2-6-0 and the 2-6-2 are just the 0-6-0 chassis with pilot and trailing wheels added.  No known prototype.  Just a quickie Bachmann adaptation of the 0-6-0 chassis for the toy train market.

WriterGal

Pacific Northern, thank you for your helpful information. In your opinion, is a pancake motor not as good as a can motor? If a train is very old, can I still get parts? Thank you. :)
WriterGal

WriterGal

Roger T, thank you for your information. I see you said no DCC sound. Do I have to use DCC in order to have sound? Thanks.  :)
WriterGal

WriterGal

Rich, thanks for the diagrams and info! Do you think it is best to stick with the newer can motors or do the pancakes work as well? If it has a pancake and the motor goes out, I'm assuming I cannot put in a can one because of fit and other issues??  :)
WriterGal

richg

Quote from: WriterGal on January 07, 2014, 07:49:58 PM
Pacific Northern, thank you for your helpful information. In your opinion, is a pancake motor not as good as a can motor? If a train is very old, can I still get parts? Thank you. :)

Parts.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_212

You need metal wheels and pick-ups on the tender.
Six wires between the tender and loco.
Speaker hole in the tender frame.
Hard-wire the loco and tender.
Not for new DCC users.
Figure about $100 for speaker and decoder plus a lot of work.

You would be better off buying a Bachmann sound value 2-6-0 for about $120.00.

Forget the ebay 2-6-2.

Rich