News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing trucks and couplers

Started by glsummers, September 19, 2007, 04:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

We just had a train show in Dothan, AL and my oldest son bought me 35 cars. Everything I have up to now has the coupler attached to the car itself. All these cars had the coupler attached to the truck. Most of the cars had horn-hooked couplers so I know they have to be changed to Bachman EZ Mate couplers or some other brand. What are your recomendations for the best possible running? If I put the couplers on the cars will I have to shim every coupler. As always I sure do appreciate ya'll's input. Larry

rogertra

The best and recommended practice is to body mount all couplers.

Next, is to use Kadees.  Sorry Bachmann and the other manufacturers but Kadees are still the best by far.

Will you need to shim the couplers, or even use off set shanks?  maybe, maybe not.

The best tool to purchase to check this is a Kadee (There's that name again) coupler height gauge.  It gives you the body height, trip pin height and has a coupler to test alignment with your new coupler installation.

As for the trucks, it may be a simple swap but in many cases, the mounting of the truck may have to be modified, the hole in the body plugged with a Plastruct tube etc, for the new truck and track retaining screw to fit.

lanny

Again, with all due respect to Bachmann (and other mfg.) I agree totally with Roger ... I don't think that Kadee couplers (the venerable 'ole reliable' #5) can be beat. And definitely take time to mount couplers/draft boxes to the car.

When properly installed, you will be very pleased with the reliability and quality of Kadde#5s .. or if you are going to do 'scale', Kadee 148s (I think) which are smaller size and look more in scale, but work just fine with #5s and other brands of knuckle couplers.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Conrail Quality

Lanny, you're thinking of #118 for scale size. #148 is Kadee's new 'wisker' coupler, which looks similar to E-Z Mates.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Hunt

Before you get involved in the obvious, changing couplers, do some other things.
  •   Identify and set aside the rolling stock that is to scale.
Now go through what has been set aside.
  •   Identify and set aside the rolling stock with correct lettering and paint schemes.

Now if you have anything set aside,
  •   Replace and body mount the couplers,
  •   Replace plastic wheels with metal wheelsets and fine tune the truck frame, if needed, with a T-100 Exxact Socket Tool by Reboxx
  •   You may even want to replace the trucks with the correct type for the era, car and railroad.

Sale all the other cars and use the money to purchase one or two quality cars.

Edward

I have gotten by with hook and horn couplers for over 30 years and am not about to change.  Most of my rolling stock goes back to the good ole days of Tyco.

I hope my Grand son learns how to change out couplers to some thing that is still on the market when he takes over.

Hunt

Quote from: Edward on September 22, 2007, 08:34:05 PM
I have gotten by with hook and horn couplers for over 30 years ...
Hmm... After over 30 years, it is time you know the correct term for the couplers you are using is horn hook coupler:D

ebtbob

Good Morning all,

The # 118 was mentioned earlier as a scale coupler from Kadee.   I am not sure which coupler that is,  but the original "scale coupler" from Kadee was the #58.  Possibly the 118 is the 58 with the metal centering whiskers on the end of the shank.
       BTW.....someone with a lot of time on their hands went to the trouble of actually measuring the #58 and determined that is a bit too big to be actual scale,  so that is why Kadee now calls the coupler a semi scale coupler.   To me.....I could care less,  but agree that the #58 does look better and works quite will with other Kadee couplers.   It will also work with the plastic knuckle couplers on the market but not well when trying to do any sort of magnetic uncoupling.   Also,  I have had little luck using the semi scale couplers on engines that are in mulitple lashups as they have a constant tendency to come apart.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Edward

A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet, a Chrystantheum by any other name would be easier to spell.

The same is true with couplers, but if a coupler worked for all that time, and just about every manufactuer/supplier used them, There must have been some merit to them.  I have rolling stock with different brand names and they all have them.  Wouldn't it be sad if we all  agreed on everything.

Have a nice day.

Conrail Quality

Quote from: ebtbob on September 23, 2007, 09:05:05 AM
Good Morning all,

The # 118 was mentioned earlier as a scale coupler from Kadee.   I am not sure which coupler that is,  but the original "scale coupler" from Kadee was the #58.  Possibly the 118 is the 58 with the metal centering whiskers on the end of the shank.
       BTW.....someone with a lot of time on their hands went to the trouble of actually measuring the #58 and determined that is a bit too big to be actual scale,  so that is why Kadee now calls the coupler a semi scale coupler.   To me.....I could care less,  but agree that the #58 does look better and works quite will with other Kadee couplers.   It will also work with the plastic knuckle couplers on the market but not well when trying to do any sort of magnetic uncoupling.   Also,  I have had little luck using the semi scale couplers on engines that are in mulitple lashups as they have a constant tendency to come apart.

I just checked the Kadee website, and yes, you're correct. Personally I've never cared for the 'scale' couplers, #5's look just fine to me.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale