Should I pre-lube my Brand New Industrial 2-6-0 before running it?

Started by palallin, January 09, 2014, 03:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palallin

Chuck N

All Bachmann engines that I have require lubrication before running, when brand new.  You should have an instructional DVD in the package with all the information that you should need.  If you don't call Bachmann and ask for one.

I don't have this specific engine, so I will not give any specific recommendations.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

While not for the Indy these instructions for the 4-6-0 should provide you with what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxTWNdIusF4
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

palallin

Thanks, gentlemen.

There was no DVD in the package, so I guess I need to contact Bachmann.  Still, the youtube video was helpful IF the Indy has the lube port near the gears.  Everything else is pretty standard, but that was the main question I had about lubing:  the gears.

Loco Bill Canelos

Every Bachmann loco I have seen opened up for the first time does have a white grease lube on the gears.
I am not sure a DVD was done for the new indy.  Anyone confirm it??

I always add a little white grease any way.

aspoz

There was no video supplied with the Indy and as far as I am aware there was not one made for it.  These days one tends to get a video only with Spectum (ie expensive) locos; the Indy is in the Big Hauler (not nearly as expensive range).  However Bill's comments about the Annie info being applicable are spot on the money.  I can't actually inspect my Indy at the moment and I can't remember if it has a lube hole over the gears but I don't think so.  From what I remember you need to undo the two or three screws holding the cover on the gear box and then (carefully) remove it with the loco upside down.  That exposes the gears and enables you to lube them; although when new they will probably have enough grease for initial running.  However, a small amount of oil on the motion and the axle bearings is a really good idea.

For maintenance, I try to check the gearbox for grease and oil the motion and bearings about every 15-20 hours running.  

palallin

Over the weekend, I had time to inspect, and, indeed, there is a plug on the bottom that allowed me to lube the gears.  They were NOT dry, but an additional tiny touch of white gear grease shouldn't do any harm.  I did oil the motion and the axles.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Loco Bill Canelos