News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 K-27

Started by hickoryhollow, September 23, 2007, 05:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hickoryhollow

We noticed that there is going to be a K-27 coming out in Large scale and it looks nice just like the ones that we rode in Colorado.  Or maybe they were K-36's.  Anyway, the Large scale K-27 looks good in Large scale.  When is Bachman going to bring out one in On30?  Thanks, Clayton

Hamish K

This, and other large Colorado locomotives, has been made in On30 by another manufacturer (MMI a division of PSC). True this manufacturer makes limited runs, but you may be able to find a K 27 if you look around. A K36 is due to be released shortly.

Personally I would prefer Bachmann not to enter the large Colorado locomotive field and duplicate another manufacturers models. By sticking to different prototypes the total range of ON30 models is increased.

Hamish

Woody Elmore

It is hard to produce a K-27 in On30 - the prototype is three foot gauge and would dwarf On30 rolling stock. As indicated above, one has already been produced by another maker.

I think that the small engines Bachmann has chosen for the line are really good choices. The Forney is a great little engine and the new 4-4-0 fills a niche.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I agree that Bachmann does not have to do a K class engine since MMI is already doing them and has basically announced the K36 and 37 in On30 as well as On3.
         As to the the larger engines dwarfing the On30 cars,   in actuallity that is true,  but if you are like me and have never really seen On3 rolling stock,   then the visual perception of the size of the cars in respect to the K27 or K28 is just fine.   One does not really notice size difference.  Well at least I don't.   I love the look of my K27s with a string of hoppers,  tankcars,  or a mixed freight moving over my On30 railroad.   When I take that same train and run it with one of my Bachmann 2-8-0s,  there is nothing I notice about the size comparison.
        As much as I have said in the past that I would love to see Bachmann do an EBT 2-8-2,   I would be just excited by a 2-6-2 or a ten wheeler in the On30 line.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

br549

I had asked the same question some time back. The response I recieved was being there are K27's in production already, Bachmann hadn't any intentions on  coming out with their own model of such.  :'(  Yea, I know its disappointing but like others have posted MMI makes a quality one!
My largest radius is a 22" and they need at least a 28" I've been told :( Besides I couldn't afford the MMI option anyway.
I am having more fun with my Consolidation, More bang for the buck!

Woody Elmore

I second ebtbob's request for an EBT 2-8-2 and a small articulated.

It is apparent that Bachmann is doing some really fine research looking for smaller engines that complement their On30 line.

Bachmann should compromise for the EBT fans and do an EBT caboose.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

To br549 - In speaking of the MMI K27s,  I have two of them and they will negotiate a 22 in radius curve.  Now I must admit that they have been altered.   When I had my local store install the Soundtraxx decoders,  two decoders were used.   The controling decoder was installed in the boiler and the Soundtraxx decoder was installed with a speaker in the tender.   This eliminated all but two wires going between the engine and the tender.
The original wire harness and the way it was held in place by the tender was the cause for the manufacturer to state that a minimum of 26 inch radius was required.  The other way to reduce the minimum radius is to take the tender shell off its frame and file down the "tab"(represents  a deck plate I guess)that sticks out the front of the shell,  so it does not have such a binding affect on the harness.
        All that being said,  I am lucky enough to have the space for an On30 railroad that has a minimum mainline radius of 26 inch.   Even in my yard and engine facility,  the minimum is 24 inch so,  the Ks can go anywhere on the railroad.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtbob

Good Morning all,  again,

To Woody,  you mentioned an EBT caboose.  I also have been suggesting that here for a number of years now.   Bachmann had success with its 2 bay hopper in On30 so they did it in large scale.  Well,  ironically,  Bachmann has a large scale caboose that is almost dead on for the EBT cabooses and wish they would downsize that to On30,  or even to HO scale as a nice wooden caboose.  The only real problem that I can see is the fact that not as many cabooses would sell as hoppers as you do not have as many cabooses on any railroad as other freight cars.
      Now for you EBT fans out there,  remember,  the EBT many times did not use cabooses on coal trains,  they put a coach or combine on the rear end,  to move miners to and from their jobs.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Royce Wilson

A lot of folks would like to see the EBT caboose! ;D
                                                                     Royce

japasha

I agree on the EBT caboose. Put some passenger car trucks under it an you have a similar Tweetsie caboose. Much better than the piece of plastic now offered. Contact me if you want to see a greatly modified Bachmann caboose that looks decent. Not hard to do at all.
It would be very nice to have the EBT/Tweesie caboose. They are large, however, remember that.

Jim Pasha
japasha@aol.com

br549

ebtbob, Thanks for the info on the MMI K27 alterations now when the $ are funded to the K&P it may end up with one after all in its roster! Thanks again!

glennk28

Yes--MMI has the "K-Class" market well covered.  Car-wise, I agree on the EBT caboose--since Bachmann has already done the tooling research for one in G Scale,  Likewise I'd like to see the ET&WNC piggyback car in On30.  I wouldn't be above dragging a few of those over Cumbres!

Does anyone know of a dealer who has the "Scrooge Collieries" hopper in stock?

Nick_Burman

I think that Bachmann ought to focus its next steam release into either a 4-6-0 or a 2-6-2 tender loco. The catch is, what prototype to model??? The 2-6-2 would be the easiest... I would plump for SR&RL #24, or for real exotica, Cimento Perus (Brazil) #6 and #7 - these were a pair of massive H.K.Porter locos built in 1945 and possibly the last 2ft gauge steam locos built in the USA for commercial service. The 4-6-0 is more complicated... I would like to see a "shrunken down" Tweetsie loco, the trouble is finding a 30"/24" proto loco which will fit the description.

Cheers Nicholas

Woody Elmore

Nicholas - the SR&RL #24 prairie type loco is my favorite NG engine. Train and Trooper just brought out an HOn30 version in brass.

This engine is long and would need some really good engineering to get it to negotiate tight curves. I think Bachmann is going to stick with little teapots that blend in with their previous offerings.

In my opinion,  a scaled down Tweestsie ten wheeler would be welcomed by many On30 modelers.

Sjack

Quote from: japasha on September 25, 2007, 12:52:48 PM
Contact me if you want to see a greatly modified Bachmann caboose that looks decent. Not hard to do at all.

Jim Pasha
japasha@aol.com

I would like to see that.

Jim