News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Swap tenders in DCC 2-6-0 loco?

Started by Chuck_S, January 10, 2014, 07:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck_S

Hi ya'all.  First message.  I tried the "search" function but...

I have a Bachmann  2-6-0 DCC loco with a "road" tender (51751) and would like to replace the tender with a "yard" tender (to represent Newburgh & South Shore practice).

My miniscule knowledge here indicates the DCC decoder is in the tender and connects to the engine with several wires.  Anyone know if I can swap the electronics in the road tender to the slope back tender (89653)? 

Any tips on removing the tender shells?  I'm not seeing any screws on the bottom of these tiny tenders.

Would like to represent this look which ran on the South Shore up to about 1935.  I know my loco is an Alco and this South Shore Line is a Baldwin. :)

-- Chuck

brokemoto

The slope back that you list has PRR lettering.  If you want to avoid  stripping, the catalogue does show a painted/unlettered.  I do not know if it is still available, though.  Word on the street has it that B-mann has been disappointed with the tender sales figures and will not re-run them.

On to your important questions.  The slope back that you mention is all wheels live.  If you have minimal skills with a soldering iron, it is likely that you could take the decoder from the stock tender and put it into the slopeback. One thing about the B-mann tenders, though.  Bachpersonn secures the contact strips that are inside the tender by melting plastic nubs.  As it is best to remove those strips before soldering a wire to them, lest you melt the tender, you will have to find another way to re-secure the contact strips into the tender.  Even if you were to use a different decoder in the slopeback, it would be necessary, still, to  remove the contact strips, solder, then replace.  You might be able to avoid some soldering by jamming bare wire underneath the contact strips and try to wrap the ends around, but that is somewhat less than reliable.

To remove the stock tender shell, spread the sides and shake.  If you want to avoid shaking, you could use a tool, such as a toothpick or small screwdriver.  Take care not to gouge the shell or chassis.  The first time  removal is always the most difficult.  It will come off more easily after one or two removals.

I forget how to remove the slopeback shell.  The truck mounting screws may secure that shell to the chassis.  When you do buy the slopeback, be sure that you purchase a Spectrum tender.  There are two other slopebacks out there, an electrically neutral version and one with only the front truck live.  As a rule, those are not available separately, but you can find them at shows.  I would avoid the tender with only the front truck live.  Its design creates a tremendous amount of drag on the locomotive.  Use of the Spectrum version either keeps performance at its current level, or will improve performance on locomotives with less well constructed tenders.  The Bachmann 2-6-0 falls into the former category.

Chuck_S

Thanks, the 89563 tender is a Spectrum so I'm hoping the DCC decoder from the road tender will fit in that shell.  I'm going to have to get one of the magnifiers with the light.  My last trains (years ago) were HO and gigantic in comparison!  I won't be swapping tenders until I get some trains running reliably.

My current steam engines are Pennsylvania.  Marked, anyway, I have no clue how accurate Bachmann is to the prototypes.  I'm not a pipe or rivet counter, just want to run some trains on rainy Saturdays. The South Shore Line will forgive me I'm sure. 

The South Shore has/had interchanges with all the major railroads in Cleveland and while mainly moving raw materials for the steel mills also handled general freight for several industries on all seven (7) miles of it's trackage.  I expect my mini model will have guest trains from all of them.  The South Shore is reincarnated at present with even more reduced trackage.  The Cleveland trolley car barns were on the SS right of way as well.

I'm pretty much going to stick with Bachmann, at least for now.  Their engines and rolling stock seem to work well together around my single test loop of K-track.

-- Chuck

skipgear

The slope back tender doesn't have a lot of space in it. The tender that comes stock in the 2-6-0 won't fit but you may be able to fit a micro decoder such as a DZ125 or Lenz mini in the slope back. The wires coming from the loco are all you need plus maybe a 600-1000 ohm resistor on the headlight leads.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950