News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What decoder

Started by Gone loco, January 10, 2014, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gone loco

:-[
Would anyone have experience in what the best type of dcc decoder to use (or sound decoder) in some older triang xo3/4 motor open frame ho scale locos?

Doneldon

loco-

Nice handle. I appreciate the irony. My wife thinks I'm crazy about trains, too.

Any loco can be converted to DCC but it can be an enormous task. There are clearance problems and the necessity of electrically isolating the motor from the frame. That's most easily done by installing a new can motor but, of course, you have to find one with enough power that fits. And then you have to build a motor mount. And then you have to work in a flywheel and upgrade lighting. And all of that hasn't even thought about adding sound and a place for a speaker.

At the end of the day you've put hours into the project and maybe $100 or more but all you have is an old model with details which are not up to today's standards. It's probably worth it for models with high sentimental value or exquisite brass items but probably not for run of the mill models. And all of this supposes that you have the skills to do the work. Yes, you can find people to do the work for you but be prepared to pay a princely sum for the privilege.

As for what decoder to use, well, there are some other questions which precede the answer. Do you want sound? Will you be satisfied with just one or two functions or would you like to dress the model up with lots of lighting and other features? What is the current draw of the motor you will install? How much space will you have for the decoder and maybe a speaker?

I don't mean to discourage you but I would feel like a bum if I didn't outline the realities of such an endeavor.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D