DCC Turnout with the EZ Commander, and feedback.

Started by shleds, January 12, 2014, 11:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shleds

I am new to the hobby, as I have just purchased the Bachmann HO Super Chief Starter Set, got my basement fitted with 7 workbenches that are 2 feet by 4 feet each, and bought 8 DCC turnouts, and a good supply of tracks.

The situation I am experiencing, as a newbie, is I am not always aware if my turnouts are in a straight or diverging position. There is no feedback on the controller to let me know the positions of the turnouts, as they are just toggling.

The question is, is there an easy way to have a visual feedback of the position of the turnout? Could a Bi-LED be soldered on the track that would indicate Red for diverging, and Green for straight? Or something similar? I am not looking at this time for a prototype layout/signal implementation, since this would be on a totally different level of expertise than what I am bringing in, but if there is an easy way to get a quick indication of the DCC turnout position without walking over to check, I would appreciate a quick "How To".

My dream design at the end is to have something that would fit the era of the F7-A locomotive used in the starter set, but I want to play with the logic of having tracks down, and having the train going around to entertain my grandkids.

Doneldon

schleds-

Yes, you can rig a bi-color LED to show through versus diverging positions on your turnouts. I wouldn't put them on the track, however. You could place them next to the turnouts. You could easily rig an enclosure with a piece of ABS or brass tube to make it look like a regular signal though that would make it mainly visible when viewed parallel to the track but not to the sides which might defeat your intent. You'll also need to use resistors so the DCC power doesn't instantly burn them out.

A less complicated and time consuming alternative would be to paint the small, round "button" on the roadbed next to the turnouts white so you can see which way the turnout is thrown without having to get very close to see it. Good luck with your project.
                                                                                                                                                                      -- D