News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

gp 40 diesel

Started by peter c, January 11, 2014, 08:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter c

the front driveshaft keeps coming apart. i never sent in warranty card so the fix will be on me. it probably got damaged taking it out of the box. when the loco stops working i remove shell and realine shaft and it runs fine for awhile. any advice for a more permanent fix?

bobwrgt

If this is HO Gp40. The coupling the drive shaft rides in on the front tuck is probably pressed on to far. It is just a press fit. After putting the  shaft back in try to slide it closer to the front of the motor. Also check the front truck. It may be loose from the screw in the top. This will let it move to far when lifted off the TRACK and let the shaft pop out. Just tighten it a little don't over due it.

peter c

thanks bobw, i might have to glue the driveshaft coller in place because if i slide it towards the motor the coller comes offf the gear. its running for now. next time it fails i.ll have to make sure i,am gettin the posts or pins on end of driveshaft to snap into collar. big help, i found a good drawing of gear box ect.