News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help to identify Engine and coupler

Started by smokingjoker, January 12, 2014, 10:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingjoker

Newbe here.
I got this at a sale did not have couplers. I got Rail Chief for Xmas it has EMD GP40. This engine is a Bachmann but I think its older. It did have part of the coupler (see pic).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seniorprotech/

Thanks for any help

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

It appears to be a life-like brand engine, GP40 it looks like. The couplers would have been the old horn hook style ones from the box. My older brother had one identical to that one when he was younger and his was a life-like engine from a trainset he had that also came with a dummy engine.

electrical whiz kid

Do yourself a big favour if you plan to make this a hobby.  Change the couplers to KaDEE or a reasonable facsimile thereof.  You will thank yourself for doing so; and I am surprised that other people on this site haven't offered this advice.
Rich C.

\

smokingjoker

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 12, 2014, 02:05:52 PM
Do yourself a big favour if you plan to make this a hobby.  Change the couplers to KaDEE or a reasonable facsimile thereof.  You will thank yourself for doing so; and I am surprised that other people on this site haven't offered this advice.
Rich C.

\
Thanks how would I go about that?

GG1onFordsDTandI

That will vary. You will need a gauge/coupler height tool also to help align them. They are sold just about everywhere. I think KaDee has a site, sorry I don't have a link.
Research your options and choice by each car/loco. Decide now how deep youre into rivet counting. Is that the right truck for era or road name? Right coupler length? etc.. Body mounting can be a small challenge for some..I prefer performance of swinging truck mounted couplers.   

jbrock27

All excellent points by everyone.  I will add, that some assessment should be made before hand, of whether, based on age and design of a locomotive or rolling stock for that matter, whether the investment, be it time or $$,  is worth a conversion.  In your case Joker, I would, given the apparent age and make of the loco.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Kadee has a website, an extensive inventory of couplers, wheel-sets, trucks as well s other quality non-running parts, such as ladders, roof-walks, etc.  They also have extensive and complete literature; and knowledgeable personel to assist.  Go to your provider, and type in "Kadee.com"
Rich C.

Len

That's a Bachmann GP-40. The Life-Like equivelents were all numbered in the 3500 series.

The Kadee conversion uses a #37 coupler. Instructions can be found here: http://www.kadee.com/conv/pdf/b10.pdf

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.