News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Creating blue water

Started by BigJim, January 13, 2014, 09:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJim

I'm trying to create a pond and a creek on a golf course with a "blue" water look. Woodland Scenics suggest using Stone Gray and White pigments but I tried several mixture combinations without any success.

Has anyone had success creating blue water? I'm guessing I could paint a base color of  blue acrylic, let it dry and then pour realistic water.

Jimmy

GG1onFordsDTandI

Woodland Scenics and others have some interesting tutorials on You Tube. Most involve painting of suface below the resin, darker blue/green in center working out to browns/whites at the shore. For an actual "clear blue" water, I was thinking of getting some "transparent pigment" to add to the clear water resin. I used some long ago in printing. Very cool effect. You should be able to find it as a powder, or liquid, for ink, or paint. Even big box hardware stores might have it, if you ask, as its not a big seller but likely used to mix customs. Ink supplies are more $, but often the highest quality available, and highest pigment count per measured unit(use less) .
If you try this, let me know your outcome as I haven't actually done it for resin yet :D.
I think a clear pearl, a layer or two down in the "water" might be worth an experiment or two also ;).

BigJim

I received the following from a Woodland Scenics representative, ...
"You could tint your Realistic Water or other water products with blue food coloring or powder RIT dye. We recommend you pour the Water into a disposable container, add desired color and very slowly stir with a craft stick. If any bubbles are created, set to the side and allow to dissipate fully before pouring the water".

So I'll try that and see what happens.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Same idea, much cheaper for some 8).
My fav.,The use of Model Water Effects- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=model+water+effects&sm=3
Too clear reveals too many flaws in the "bottom". In my opinion "blur" and surface imperfection is better visually too.
(sink a log, a rowboat, some weeds, a bottle, . Sink a sink :D, but put something in the water, at the bottom or shore edge ;))