News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Yet more Digitrax DCC Zephyr Extra questions

Started by akadave, January 15, 2014, 12:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akadave

So based on the info gleaned from this site and others. I decided my first DCC controller would be the Digitrax Zephyr. I was using the standard controller that came with my Bachmann set. Didnt have a connector for the Digitrax so I cut the two pole plug off the Bachmann wire, and used it to connect the Digitrax. I'm not sure what gauge wire it is but I hope it sufficient.

The locomotive I am using is the Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 which is DCC ready. The one thing that bothers me is that the locomotive runs significantly slower on with the DCC controller vs the DC controller that came with a starter set. I'm told this is normal? In any event full throttle still seems a little slow. Otherwise the locomotive runs very smooth and quietly. My layout is 30X54, a simply oval for now.

I tested the voltage using two voltmeters I have. The frustrating thing is that one meters says 13.5 AC and the other says 16.4 AC. Both cant be right. The better voltmeter says 13.5 . The spec sheet says 13.8 v is what the controller is limited to but other threads say 14-16 v is the norm and any less I have a defective controller. Would like more info on that if possible.

Should I get different larger gauge wire to connect the E-Z track to the Digitrax? Is the red wire that came with the Bachmann set adequate?

Thanks in advance

Dave

akadave

I did realize something. One of the meters that I am using is a True RMS meter so it can sometimes give low readings when dealing with complex AC signal which Im sure is what the Digitrax puts out. So is 16.43 V AC in the ballpark?

richg

I would trust the meter that read close to what the power supply sends to the DCC controller. Generally, a DCC controller will put out a DCC signal in about the same voltage level as the power supply that feeds it.
I have three cheap digital meters from Harbour Fright that show around 13.6 AC for my NCE Power Cab. The power supply is around 13.9 DC i believe. Have not look at in in some time.
Our club uses the same meters and the NCE Power Pro there shows about the same. We once tweaked the booster and did get about 16 VAC but turned it back down to the default level.
This is model railroading, not rocket science. I was a NASA contractor electronics tech for 14 years. I know the difference.
No my old analogue multimeter reads a little lower but those old D'Arsonval movements would age.
My expensive meter shows about the same as does my digital Oscilloscope.

Rich

richg

Mis-use the meter and smoke it. Guess how much to replace?

Rich

akadave

Had a nice long talk with Loco Nate at Digitrax, great guy and informative! He confirmed that the complexity of the signal coming from the Digitrax, essentially a square qave signal can cause True RMS volt meter like my Fluke 111 to show too low voltage for the output. He said that my over Fluke which is an averaging meter would give a truer number and he said that 16.42 AC was in the ballpark.

Nate also said that you can measure the output by switching the meter to DC and reading Rail A  or Rail B and Ground which would give 6 to 6.5 V DC each  just in case you only have a True RMS meter.

Great info and assistance from Digitrax!