News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 curves with a train

Started by Chastity, January 27, 2014, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chastity

Hello,

I have been looking at a K-27 and I know that Bachmann lists the minimum radius as 8 ft diameter.  In my experience, that may mean the locomotive will make it around but with a train in tow can be something quite different. 

My absolute minimum radius is 10 ft diameter and all but one switch are #6 (the one switch is an LGB R5 switch).

Will this monster make it alright?

Chuck N

I run mine on Aristo 10' diameter without any problems.   It is a great engine, make sure it has the new or replaced counterweights.  There was a problem with the first issued engines.  Unlike some manufacturers, Bachmann got a quick fix out.  Chuck

PS I have two.

PPS all my switches are LGB R5 (18000 series).  No problems traversing these.

armorsmith

Chastity,

I have a K27 as well, have had for about 6 years.  It will traverse your 10 foot diameter curves fine even with a train in tow.  It will traverse standard Aristo wide switches with no problems (also 10 foot diameter).  As Chuck mentioned check the counter weights on the drivers for ANY amount of play.  She is an excellent runner and a good puller.  I have pulled upwards of 30 cars - mixed AristoCraft/LGB/Bachmann/Delton/USA Trains.

My only caveat is to make sure you have a minimum of one engine length between the entrance/exit of a curve and a switch.  I would also recommend an engine length between curves on an 'S' curve.  Allow the engine to normalize, especially on exit as a derailment can be painful if it should short out.  Ask me how I know.

Good luck and happy railroading!

Bob C.