News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC on NC&StL USRA 0-6-0

Started by lightfb2, January 14, 2014, 11:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightfb2

I notice that several of the HO scale USRA locomotives are offered with DCC for several RR lines, but not for the NC&StL, which is the railroad that I model. Will DCC be offered for the NC&StL at some point in the future? If so, can you estimate when that will happen?

If a DCC version of the NC&StL USRA 0-6-0 will not be offered in the future, is it possible to separately purchase a DCC decoder for the user to install in the DC version?

Doneldon

Light-

I hate to say it but I doubt if you'll see a mass manufacturer building models for the NC&StL. Years ago there was a chance that a locomotive from a smaller railroad or a limited type might be sold by a brass importer but the realities of the market place and the costs of tooling will pretty much guaranty that only engines with a broader appeal will see the light of day. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to be satisfied with something close which you can customize and letter yourself. If you have any doubt about that, just look at how many NC&StL RR models are in any manufacturer's catalog today, or check eBay.
                                                                                                                                      -- D

jward

ummmm, don. guess what? the 0-6-0 in the Chattanooga set comes painted for nc&stl.

I haven't gotten around to adding dcc to mine yet, but it appears to be a split frame design so adding a decoder should be similar to a split frame diesel  like a gp30. I do know a small z scale decoder like a digitrax dz125 will fit in the cab, and I have heard of people removing the smoke unit and mounting the decoder there as well.

this is the procedure for a split frame diesel, as done by former member jm banner:\

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

this guy has added dcc to an 0-6-0 plus rebuilt the pilot with a working coupler and added pickups to the tender. scroll down the link page and you'll see how he did it.

http://www.girr.org/girr/girr_ho/girr_ho.html#dcc

hope these give you some ideas.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Jeff-

I stand corrected. Thank you for putting the OP straight on this as my post would surely have misled him.

-- D

jward

o problem. we've all unintentionally said misleading things. I only know about the nc&stl steamer because I have the set.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA