News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Two trains on one track?

Started by bighittex, January 16, 2014, 02:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighittex

Is there a way to run two large scale trains on the same track independent of each other?

If not, what considerations do you have to take into account to run them simultaneously?

Chuck N

There are several ways it can be done; use DCC, run one engine on track power and the other with battery and RC, use two battery/RC engines , or set up an automatic block system.  They are all possible.  I imagine that there are other ideas out there, but these are the ones that come to mind.  I have used the second option.

Chuck

armorsmith

Tex,
I think a little more clarification from you on your finished intentions would help, so let me as a couple of questions.

1)  Is this a permanent set up or just a temporary display?
2)  Indoor or outdoor?
3)  How big a layout are we discussing and long or short trains?
4)  How much money are we talking about?

Chuck mentioned a few and I will expound on them.

I am not real familiar with DCC (Digital Command and Control), will require one transmitter and one receiver in each locomotive, plus a DC power supply. There will be a constant power on the track with a control signal overlaid on the track controlling each locomotive. This system is fairly pricey but is a good system for indoor railroads.  Some have reported good results outdoors.

Run two engines on battery power with radio control (Airwire / Crest Electronics (Aristo Craft) / Remote Control Systems). These systems will be moderately expensive up front, but offer great flexibility in the long run.  Again, typically one transmitter will operate a number of locomotives, each requiring a receiver. A major advantage of this scheme is the flexibility to use any track material. Aluminum track is the least expensive but is the poorest choice for track power of any nature.  This scheme, along with DCC, also allow the best operational schemes for those looking for prototypical operation.

One locomotive on track power using a typical power pack/throttle setup and one battery / RC.  I think the control scheme is obvious.

Two locomotives running on track power using the tried and true block control system.

Another possibility is to run constant track power with radio control.

Hope this helps.

Bob C.

Kevin Strong

Check out RR Concepts' stuff. www.rr-concepts.com . Their "Stationmaster" controller will do that (along with other automatic controls).

Dallee Electronics is another one to look at for automation. They don't have a single specific product for that, but a series of components that can be used for a whole range of automation.

Later,

K

Chuck N

I should have added, make contact with a local "G gauge" group in your area.  Most clubs will have members who use the different systems talked about earlier.  Visit layouts, talk to people and most of all ask questions.  We can offer advice, but nothing is better than one on one discussions.  Everyone "prefers" their system.  There is no perfect system for all railroads everywhere.  They all have pluses and minuses.  It can be expensive if you choose the wrong system at the start and later decide you need to go in another direction.

Chuck