Bachmann turnouts using Digitrax Command Center

Started by jrd65, January 18, 2014, 03:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrd65

Being new to the hobby of trains and not being an electrician I sometimes have problems with the electrical part of a train display. Here is a problem that I do not understand (The answer is probably pretty simple).

Layout information..Digitrax Zepher Command Center with 402 hand held throttle. Running all trains in DC mode using Loconet. ALL track is Bachmann E-Z track. All Turnouts are Bachmann non-DCC remote turnouts using a Digitrax DS64 to control the turnouts.
The problem is when you activate a "Throw" or "Closed" command from either source the points will move either 100% or something less than 100% thereby not making full contact and causing a derailment. Sometimes when it does not make full contact it takes a few commands to make full contact or you have to wait 3-6 seconds then reissue the command.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Thanks

Hunt

Power the DS64 with auxiliary power supply, not with power from rails.   Refer to Powering Your DS64 page 3 of the DS64 instructions

Doneldon

jr-

Assuming your problems are not resolved by Hunt's suggestion, your problems are in the turnout mechanisms themselves, not in the controls or your DCC system.

I would start by carefully inspecting the turnouts to be certain there isn't something interfering with the motion of the points. Next, I'd verify that the turnouts are perfectly flat, i.e., not twisted or out of level. Then I'd operate the turnouts manually while watching the points. Are they really not throwing all of the way or do they move properly but rebound? Or is the problem that they don't quite move far enough? Do you experience the problem regardless of which way you throw the turnout? Depending on your findings, you may need to replace the defective turnouts (under warranty since these, I assume, are new) or do some filing on the turnouts. Please get back to us with your findings and we'll see about the next step in rehabilitating your turnouts.
                                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

jrd65

Thank you for your responses. At this point I have checked everything I can and found no resolution. As a possible last resort I am going to upgrade my power supply to 5A and see what happens.