Problems with my layout since I added single crossover turnouts

Started by shleds, January 17, 2014, 09:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shleds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shleds/12004805173/

Link above should be image of my layout.

Basically I have two straight tracks, ending up in loops at the end (called a dog bone layout?). In the middle of the straight tracks, I have 2 EZ-Command DCC single crossover turnout (1 left, 1 right, part number 44137 and 44138) that connects the two straight tracks to each other.

When I plug it in, the EZ-Command unit is blinking really fast, telling me something is short. If I unhook the tracks in the whereabouts of the single crossovers, it returns to normal, if I plug one side of the turnout, it is also fine, but if I plug both tracks into it, there is a short.

I have a feeling that I need something else, to prevent the shorts, like a reversing module of some sort? Can anyone provide
me with advice on what part do I need, how many of them do I need? and where should I put it/them?

the Bach-man

Dear Shleds,
As you have surmised, you have reverse loops at each end of your layout. A reverse loop occurs when a route folds back upon itself, causing a short circuit. We do make a DCC reverse loop module to handle the situation.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

shleds

Morgun 30

Looks like you have some S curves which will likely cause derailments also.

shleds

I like "S" curves, even though it might cause derailments. I am trying to split the 2 tracks in the corners so I can have the outer ones going through a mountain of some sort..

Doneldon

shleds-

One reverse loop module will work for both problem areas because it is incredibly unlikely that both ends will need to be rectified at exactly the same instant. The polarity correction is just about that, instantaneous, because any delay would cause the short-circuit protection in your controller to shut down the whole layout.

It's fine to "like" S-curves but they will cause tracking problems whether you like them or not. I agree that the sinewy reverse contour is pleasant to watch because it is so graceful. However, reverse curves look their best when they are gentle, not abrupt, and that's a good thing. If you have a straight (tangent) section the length of your longest rolling stock or locomotive, your trains should handle the reverse without problems. You may need a longer straight separating the curves if you have Talgo trucks (trucks with an extended beam on which your couplers are attached) or if you plan to do a lot of backing through the reverse curves because that's when reverse curves are their most mischievous.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

electrical whiz kid

Off the record:  Nice looking family; all happy.  I am happy for you.
Rich C.

shleds

Yeah, i used my personal account on flickr.  :-\ I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.

shleds