News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multiple engine train.

Started by momo, September 25, 2007, 11:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

How would I run a train with 3 ho scale engines at the same time?
I know I would use DCC,but I dont know how to control them all at once.

WoundedBear

DCC is the route you want.

With DCC control, each engine has it's own decoder on board. Each decoder has a seperate and distinct "address". When the DCC control unit sends it's signal, the appropriate decoder receives the signal and translates that signal into motion or function (lights, sound etc).

In order to operate multiple units, you reprogram all 3 locomotives to the same address, and then they operate as a "single" unit.

Some DCC systems allow regular and advanced consisting. The regular address being for individual running, and the advanced address for multiple unit lash-ups. How you program for MU is dependent upon the system you have.

I'm sure others here can probably add more to this explanation, but I think that's it in a nut shell.

Sid

Atlantic Central

Momo,

You don't have to use DCC to do this. As long as the locos are the same (3 Bachmann FT's for example) or run at close to the same speed, they will work fine together pulling a train. The only thing to be carefull of is that your power pack has enough power. Small packs that come with set often will only handle one loco, better ones will handle three or four with no problem.

Sheldon

taz-of-boyds

With DCC I expect to be programming speed tables to match speeds of loco's too. (Not there yet, but still planning.)

And from advice I have seen before, you may want to keep the loco's running together so their speed characteristics age together.

Have fun,
Charles