News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 clarification

Started by rrjTooele, September 25, 2007, 05:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrjTooele

I want to order the K-27 2-8-2 BlkGrnBoiler 455. It's only identified as "PTD." Does that mean it's without the roadname? If it is the D&RGW, is it with the flying herald or the older version? Does it come with a snowplow as well?

Thank you.

Cascade Northern

From what I read earlier, was that you could get #455 with lettering (don't know which herald) or just the green boiler version of #455 with no lettering.  That is all I know. :-\

That might have changed ???

rrjTooele

Thank you for you reply.

On the Caboose Hobbies site, it reads, "K-27 2-8-2 BlkGrnBoiler 455 1:20 , PTD" right below the listing of the "K-27 2-8-2 Blk Grn Boiler 1:20, Unlettered." The folks at Caboose Hobbies didn't know for sure.

Ah, sweet mysteries of life. I eagerly await Mr. Bach-man's reply.

bobgrosh

This is all I could find on the various versions.
83093 D&RGW #453 with Doghouse
83094 D&RGW #464.
83095 D&RGW with Flying Grande #463.
83096 Rio Grande Southern with Sunrise Herald #455.
83097 Black with Green Boiler #455
83098 Black with Green Boiler Unlettered.
83099 Black Unlettered

Does not make sense to me, but I ordered 83098, hope it comes without the doghouse, or the doghouse as a seperate item that can be left off.

tac

As I understand it, only #453 has the dog-house, because only #453 HAD the dog-house.

Could be wrong, though.  ;)

tac - proud owner of #453, made of tin and stuff
www.ovgrs.org

gaetan

Hello guys

TAC ,  You are perfectly correct in your assumption of #453 being the only K-27 to have a dog-house on the tender....

Concerning #455 wearing RGS Sunrise Herald  ;  If we refer to Blackstone Ho release of the same model, it comes with the plow , Post-wreck cab , Post-wreck tender and tool box......     I don't want to start a polemic here but when I asked The Bachmann people at the Narrow Gauge  Convention in Portland.    I got that answer '' Check with the Blackstone releases (Blackstone table was right in front of the Bachmann one) and the specific numbers should have the specific details included.....   So If it goes that way every body should be happy......

But I admit that I am also a bit lost in the scarce description  given for pre-orders....

Gaétan

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The green boilered version will be available both correctly lettered and unlettered.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rrjTooele

Ahh, but with what lettering (Flying herald or its predecessor) and will it come with the snowplow?

Thank you all for your feedback. It's fun.

amdaylight

Quote from: rrjTooele on September 28, 2007, 11:43:30 PM
Ahh, but with what lettering (Flying herald or its predecessor) and will it come with the snowplow?

Thank you all for your feedback. It's fun.

If it is the green boiler it should have the Royal Gorge toilet seat herald, the flying Grande came later, one or two schemes later if I remember correctly. The green boilers were pre 1936 with the Royal Gorge herald then they went to the black boiler with the Moffat Tunnel herald and then it was the black boiler with the flying Grande herald.

Andre :)

Charlie Mutschler

D&RGW 455 never carried the speed script herald ("Flying Rio Grande"), which was implemented after the locomotive was sold to the RGS.  The "bug" herald (the one some people call the 'toilet seat') was used from the mid 1920's until November, 1939 when the speed herald was first applied to equipment.  Many locomotives and cars did not get shopped for several years, so some had the old herald into the 1940's. 

In 1936 the RGS began negotiations to trade their ditcher No. 030 to the D&RGW for a K-27. The deal was finally worked out in September, 1939.  The herald was painted out, but not the lettering "DENVER & RIO GRANDE WESTERN" on the side of the tender.  By July of 1941 No. 455 had the RGS "Sunrise" herald on her tender - as seen in the R. B. Jackson photos used as the endpapers in _Silver San Juan_. 

In November, 1943 No. 455 ran away on Dallas Divide, and was badly damaged.  In 1947 the battered locomotive was rebuilt with the cut down cab and tender tank from a scrapped standard gauge 2-8-0.  This is the "After-the-Wreck" configuration that is much beloved by many.  Personally, I much prefer the 455's appearance circa July, 1941.  However you want your RGS 455, before or after her traumatic experience, it is safe to say that she never carried the flying Rio Grande herald as a D&RGW locomotive.  However, toward the end of operations on the RGS, the rebuilt tender was damaged, (possibly twice?) and 455 operated with tenders borrowed from leased D&RGW 461, and later with the tender borrowed from leased D&RGW 452.  In both cases, 455 had the cut-down standard gauge cab, but a tender with the flying "Rio Grande" herald on the sides, and number 461 or 452 on the rear. 

Are we sufficiently confused yet?  I think I'll look for the pre-accident sunrise herald version if I have a choice.  Or maybe I'll just opt for D&RGW 463 or 464.  The last two to survive. 

Happy modeling. 
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Curmudgeon

And my 463 came to me with a doghouse, pilot tool box, and left lower deck mounted backup light.

It now has toolbox, no doghouse, backup light on the 4 legs, OIL bunker, and oxide roof.

It will eventually get the Flying whatever removed and proper graphics for our line installed.

It's my railroad, my locomotive, and dag-nabbit, my cutting torch.

I'll double-head it with my whaleback-tender #9 lettered "Carson & Colorado".

rrjTooele

Thank you all for your response. I feared that my latest question would go unanswered. Ah...the plight of the faint-hearted. Your responses are most informative and helpful!

What a wonderful hobby we're in! I look forward to getting my K when it arrives!

rslater

Quote from: tac on September 26, 2007, 05:02:18 AM
As I understand it, only #453 has the dog-house, because only #453 HAD the dog-house.

Could be wrong, though.  ;)

tac - proud owner of #453, made of tin and stuff
www.ovgrs.org

My Accucraft K-27 #464 has the doghouse.  E-mail me for a photo.