atlas dc track to dcc e-z command control system

Started by tlukach84, January 18, 2014, 10:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlukach84

question? anyone? power supply to switch control boxes on old dc atlas, how can this be run if E-Z command is plug in?

Doneldon

t84-

You cannot run your old power pack and a DCC system on the same layout at the same time. The only thing you'll do is fry your expensive DCC system. You can use the fixed voltage AC terminals on your old power pack to operate remote turnouts (switches) on your DCC layout, but they will just be remote turnouts; you won't be able to operate them with your DCC controller.
                                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

tlukach84

yea that would be fine, for the turnouts.  I just wanted to run the trains on the DCC anyway.  My question is the wiring,  I went to Atlas and they have diagrams that show conversions of their old dc track and converting to dcc.  They run wires off the power supply power out to the switch control boxes.  DCC e z command has a solid plug in wire from the power supply to the dcc system.  I presently have a two power pack dc layout, one for the train and one for the switch control (ac).  Maybe I am missing something?

jbrock27

TK, is this the kind of information you are looking for?

Look under this thread in HO:  EZ-Track Switch Control Boxes
Keep Calm and Carry On

tlukach84

yes and no Jbrock,  didnt really care if the switch controls were tied into the DCC.  really only wanted DCC to operate the trains on my current dc setup.  Can I just remove the power pack control for the train and wire in dcc e z command system? what other wiring changes? it cant be that simple.  I wanted to do what Doneldon posted, but not sure how to wire correctly

jward

it can be that simple. power the switches off the old dc power pack, and run all track power off the ez command.     if you  have block control, there is no need to bypass the block switches, they will act as on off switches to kill power to tracks not in use just the same as they do on dc.     and with th limited power output of the ez command, that feature will come in handy.     any decoder equipped locomotive sitting on a dcc equipped layout will draw power even though it is parked on a siding, unless you have the capability, through block control, to turn that track off.

this is one of the reasons my layout was built with block switches, even though it's been run with dcc from the beginning.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

TK, did you read through the whole thread that I sent you?  In the vid and what I wrote was not about using DCC tied into the switch controls but running the switch controls with AC.  The reason I brought the thread to your attention is so you can read in words and see in pictures how you can control your Bachmann turnouts simply using the AC power supplies off of a DC pack.  You can use any DC pack that has the AC terminals to do that and the wiring from the Bachmann turnout to the Atlas switch control is easy-it just requires a little thought, simple tools and effort.

Or am I totally lost as to what exactly your are trying to do?  If so, perhaps better explanation is in order from your end.  Here  is my understanding: you want to keep running your locomotives with DCC but do not want to activate your turnouts using DCC.  And by activate, I mean use the turnout's switch machine.

I am sorry if I could not tell from what you wrote, what you are trying to do, but here is piece of advice since I am sensing some "tude" from your end-when someone is trying to give you a hand, a little less "tude" is in order, especially if you want anyone to continue to take up their time to try to help you-comprendez?
Keep Calm and Carry On

tlukach84

Yep that is exactly what I want to do jbrock and jward. Thank u.  I must have pulled up the wrong site jbrock for the control boxes for viewing.  Thank u for your insight

tlukach84

Found it jbrock thanks.  I was looking at the wrong post. Really not a computer guy.   Yep I have two old regular dc power packs and one controls the switches for the turnouts ac power.  I got the ez command dcc and a dcc loco as x-mas present.  I want that to just run the trains on the dcc.  Thanks again

jbrock27

Excellent!  Glad to hear and you are quite welcome.  Glad I could help.
Keep Calm and Carry On