GP7 Sound Value Availability?

Started by nelsonb111563, January 21, 2014, 10:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelsonb111563

When will the GP7 sound value locos become available?  I was hoping to purchase one at the Amhearst show this coming weekend.  Any particular vendors that might have them in stock?  Or are they still coming fdrom "across the pond"?

Thanks. ??? ::)

richg

I just checked Micro Mark and they have them on Pre-Order right now for $115.00.
Minimum radius is 18 inches.

GG1's with Sound also on Pre-Order.

The Favourite Spot does not show them yet.

Rich

Bucksco

They will not be available in time for the Springfield show....sorry.

nelsonb111563

Thats what I neededs to know, thanks!  Any estimate of when they might be available?

Bucksco

Not sure. Would need to check.
GG1 due shortly...

nelsonb111563

I attended the Springfield show and asked one of the reps and was told possibly May 2014 for anybody wanting to know.

Tim Allen

is there a place online where you can listen to all these sound chips? how do I know what is better than another?

richg

Quote from: Tim Allen on January 27, 2014, 07:09:35 PM
is there a place online where you can listen to all these sound chips? how do I know what is better than another?

The decoders are sound decoders, not chips. The chips, IC's are on the decoder PC board.
Asking what is Best is a good way to start a Flame War. Lol
Many sounds can be heard at the SoundTraxx site. SoundTraxx supplies the sound decoders for Bachmann right now.
The GG1 will be quite different from most locomotives.
Google the different locos and you can find many prototype locos that have been reordered, find out what type of whistles, air horns , prime movers that were used by different railroads.
Do some research and you can compare with what your hear and others opnions.

Trying to reproduce prototype sounds through a 28mm speaker will not come out like in real time. There are different ways to adjust the sound CV's but it can take time to satisfy some rivet counters.
Symonizing the steam chuff's with driver gear movement can be a challenge.

Good quality sound decoders use 16 bit. Cheaper quality decoders use 8 bit.
SoundTraxx uses 16 bit.
Some brands electronically develop sounds.
Couple brands, you can develop your own sounds, especially with a prototype loco and upload them to the decoder. Many sounds can be found in You Tube videos.
Cannot do that with SoundTraxx decoders.

Be aware, decoders are evolving quite rapidly.

Rich

richg

In case of the GG1, below is a link. They ran on 25 Hz power.
The controls included tap changers. No idea if the sound of the tap changer would have been heard outside the loco. A lot of current has to be re-routed to the motor windings for different loads.
I have heard large oil filled switches from submarines operating DC motors and they were loud.
GG1's had AC motors but still used moving contacts for acceleration and deceleration.
Lots of motor hum also. Much lower frequency than you hear when you walk by a power distribution transformer set-up.
Imagine all the PCB's electricians had to work with for some years.
I am sure you can find many You Tube videos for those interested in GG1 sounds.

http://members.localnet.com/~docsteve/railroad/gg1.htm

Rich