News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layouts and tracks

Started by bigjoe11a, January 21, 2014, 11:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

Just a note, I was registered here before. and when I tried to log in again my account was gone, I know it's been a while sense I logged in, How ever it shouldn't have deleted my account.

On with my question. I just spent the last 6 months working on the layout and wanted to get train back on the track again. I just put every thing back together and well the track is not level. So am I missing some thing. I used the plaster cloth on my layout. That took 16 rolls. So how do I get the track level with the layout. All I get is derail after derail.

Thanks
Joe M

BigJim

I used a lot of plaster cloth too. Did you use risers?
My suggestion you may need a small leveler and go about 12 inches a time and either raise the rails in low spots or shave some using a knife or file in the high spots.

Good luck.

bigjoe11a

Yes, I did use risers. That does sound like an idea. I'm just trying to come up with an idea on how to full in spots.

Doneldon

joe11a-

I don't understand your question. What isn't level? Did you remove your track
and are now replacing it? Please give us a few more details.
                                                                                             -- D

bigjoe11a

Hi! Don, Long time, Any way, The level of the track on the layout. I used plaster cloth to make my layout. Now after completing the layout. The track is not level with the layout. Like the other guy said. That I should just fill in the space with some thing to make the track level with the layout.

Doneldon

Joe-

I'm still not understanding. Is your layout warped? Did your roadbed change
with temperature and humidity? Has your fastening method fail? Maybe a few
photos would equal the proverbial 1000 words.
                                                                          -- D

bigjoe11a

Ok, Don sorry your not under standing, I'll try and explain one more time.

The last 6 months I been working on the layout adding plaster cloth. The plaster cloth I added to the layout. has made the area when the track lays at uneven. When the train runs over the uneven areas. It derails.

Even if I sent photo's. I don't think it would show a clear picture of what I'm talking about.

The other guy is right. I will have to come up with an idea to fill in the uneven areas with gravel or some thing. To keep the rails even.

AGSB

Are you saying that you did all your scenery and are now trying to lay track on it? This is backwards to accepted procedure. You lay track and form scenery around it. May be time to start over.

bigjoe11a

Quote from: AGSB on January 22, 2014, 11:20:19 AM
Are you saying that you did all your scenery and are now trying to lay track on it? This is backwards to accepted procedure. You lay track and form scenery around it. May be time to start over.

Are you nuts, I can't. I have over $1200 in my layout all ready. I would have to throw out over a $1000.

AGSB

Quote from: bigjoe11a on January 22, 2014, 12:32:05 PM
Quote from: AGSB on January 22, 2014, 11:20:19 AM

Are you nuts, I can't. I have over $1200 in my layout all ready. I would have to throw out over a $1000.

Well you still haven't answered the question no matter how much money you have in it.

bigjoe11a

Yes it does, I mean NO. Your talking about spending a lot of money for me to do the layout all over again. There's no way of saying it any other way. Sorry.

shleds

I am confused, did you do your track layout before you built the scenery, or not? Although I understand you might have put a lot of money into it, I am not sure what step you did first? Also, pictures would be nice to understand the gravity of the situation.

bigjoe11a

Quote from: shleds on January 22, 2014, 04:01:41 PM
I am confused, did you do your track layout before you built the scenery, or not? Although I understand you might have put a lot of money into it, I am not sure what step you did first? Also, pictures would be nice to understand the gravity of the situation.

Ah, no. The track layout was change 10 times. Because the track didn't work. This guy on this forum helped me with it last year. Now that I have the track right. And that 2 trains run on it. I started on the layout, I been working on it sense last summer. I just got the last part laid down a bout 3 weeks a go and just completed the track about 1 week ago. When I tested the train. Is when I saw it derail. And that's why. The track wasn't level so it derailed.

Like the guy from an earlier post said I should use gravel or some thing to fill on areas that won't let the track lay flat. The idea is sound. And it looks like a good idea. So I'll be working on it this weekend

Morgun 30

Guys, What I 'm pretty sure happened was Joe set up the track the way he wanted it. Then, when he was happy with how it was working, took it apart and put plaster cloth down, then put the track over that.

jbrock27

Would you be "this guy on this forum" who helped him last year, Morg?
Keep Calm and Carry On