News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD45 Spectrum DCC stop running.

Started by badkarma, January 23, 2014, 07:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badkarma

I have a Spectrum DCC SD45 that I got in the beginning of last summer. I read today online that Bachmann had some board problems. My problem is my Spectrum SD45. It started running jerky with lights coming on then off by itself. Then the locomotive stopped. The SD45 now sits there jerking backward while the sound decoder is run in repeat mode and then chirps and then it repeats itself. It has a MRC 1643 8 pin sound decoder attached to the Spectrum H6034 board. I removed the 8 pin sound decoder and still does the same thing. I put the SD45 on an analog track and it sits there with the sound decoder going through its cycle in idle mode sounds. What could it be? I think its a bad board because the wiring connection looks good. All the other DCC trains runs flawlessly on the DCC track.

richg

First thing you should do with a decoder that acts up is to reset it to factory specs.

Rich

badkarma

Did that. I defaulted back to 3 on the EZ command and it still did the same thing. Is there anything I'm missing here. I looked online for CV 8, but where is CV 8 on a Bachmann EZ Command? I checked the EZ command manual and it explains nothing. Including this forum under the search engines. It just gives me go to CV 8.

richg

Quote from: badkarma on January 23, 2014, 08:48:09 PM
Did that. I defaulted back to 3 on the EZ command and it still did the same thing. Is there anything I'm missing here. I looked online for CV 8, but where is CV 8 on a Bachmann EZ Command? I checked the EZ command manual and it explains nothing. Including this forum under the search engines. It just gives me go to CV 8.

I vaguely remember that the EZ Command can not do a decoder reset from a previous discussion. I believe all the Ez Command can change is the loco number. I think it is first generation DCC controller by Bachmann. Kind of old as far as DCC controllers go.

Maybe someone here can chime in.

Rich

badkarma

I think its time for me to think about purchasing a different controller. However I will stick with the EZ command for the meantime until I can figure things out. I wish Bachmann would add something to their EZ Command product for this problem. If this suppose to be a starter kit for going to DCC, its definitely a turn off. I would rather stay with analog. :(

badkarma

What brand of DCC controllers (NCE, Digitrax, MRC, and Prodigy) are able to do decoder resets that is within my budget? Under $100.00, but $150.00 tops.

richg

Quote from: badkarma on January 23, 2014, 09:08:05 PM
I think its time for me to think about purchasing a different controller. However I will stick with the EZ command for the meantime until I can figure things out. I wish Bachmann would add something to their EZ Command product for this problem. If this suppose to be a starter kit for going to DCC, its definitely a turn off. I would rather stay with analog. :(

The EZ Command is just that, a starter set. DCC was very basic when this set came out.

It is very old as controllers go. That is why Bachmann came out with the Dynamis.

Many fail to do a Google search for EZ Command reviews.

Rich

ALCO1000

Quote from: badkarma on January 23, 2014, 07:55:30 PM
I have a Spectrum DCC SD45 that I got in the beginning of last summer. I read today online that Bachmann had some board problems. My problem is my Spectrum SD45. It started running jerky with lights coming on then off by itself. Then the locomotive stopped. The SD45 now sits there jerking backward while the sound decoder is run in repeat mode and then chirps and then it repeats itself. It has a MRC 1643 8 pin sound decoder attached to the Spectrum H6034 board. I removed the 8 pin sound decoder and still does the same thing. I put the SD45 on an analog track and it sits there with the sound decoder going through its cycle in idle mode sounds. What could it be? I think its a bad board because the wiring connection looks good. All the other DCC trains runs flawlessly on the DCC track.
If you remove the decoder and put the engine back to DC with the jumper will it run correctly on dc?I can guide you through the testing step by step IF you would like!
Jack

badkarma

Sorry for the late response. Been busy with all the snow. I did what you said and it works on DC with the jumpers. Does that mean the DCC decoder is bad?

richg

Quote from: badkarma on February 16, 2014, 01:31:27 PM
Sorry for the late response. Been busy with all the snow. I did what you said and it works on DC with the jumpers. Does that mean the DCC decoder is bad?

I have read about those decoders in the Trains,com. Model Railroader forum. Same symptoms. Get rid of it.They have a lot of bad rep.
A proper Tsunami would plug right in if is the same size as the MRC. They also have eight pin. You will have to solder two speaker wires and find place for the attached stay alive capacitor.
All the decoder info is at the SoundTraxxx site with a decoder selector for Bachmann locos.

Rich

richg

Just remembered, you need to cut back the shrink a little in the Tsunami, remove the 9 pin connector and plug in a 9 pin to 8 pin adapter.
I am assuming this is a loco that was modified as the loco does not come from the factory with an MRC decoder.

Rich

badkarma

richg

Quote from: badkarma on March 02, 2014, 07:31:46 PM
Thanks. Will look into it.

Below is how to hook up a shrink wrapped Tsunami decoder. Look in Curriculum, SoundTraxx Tsunami.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Save the link to Favourites and look though all his links. He regularly post in the MRH site some excellent suggestions and experiences with DCC. Bruce use to own an online DCC store.

Rich