News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Started by Glenn E, January 25, 2014, 12:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn E

My 1361 I just purchased used does not work consistently, the light comes on and I can hear the hum, but it won't run.

Doneldon

Glenn-

What is a "1361?"

-- D

Glenn E

richg

Quote from: Glenn E on January 25, 2014, 01:54:29 PM
BACHMANN/SPECTRUM Engine

Sigh.

Come on Dude, which scale, type, DCC or DC, controlling with DC or DCC?

Rich

rogertra

"1361" means nothing to anyone.

How is it described on the packaging?

Not the part number as we generally don't know nor care what the part number is.

Steam?  Diesel?  Steam type - 2-6-0, 2-8-0, 4-8-2 etc.. Diesel model RS-3, GP7, F7A etc.  Scale HO, N, O etc..  DC or DCC?

From the above we can help but "1361" is just a number and means nothing.

We are trying to help but unfortunately you have not provided enough information.

I'm guessing you are new to this and we understand but to help, we do need more information.

Cheers

Roger

JerryB

I agree with what the others have already written about the total lack of information in the original post, but Googling "Bachmann 1361" produces lots of returns. In fact the result line shows "9,150,000 results!"

Looking at the first couple of ebay listings, they show "BACHMANN/SPECTRUM K4 4-6-2 PACIFIC POST WAR PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD #1361 HO SCALE."

Of course the next responses here will try to address the OP's message that it ". . . does not work consistently," whatever that might mean.

Happy RRing

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

rogertra

Quote from: JerryB on January 25, 2014, 03:27:06 PM
I agree with what the others have already written about the total lack of information in the original post, but Googling "Bachmann 1361" produces lots of returns. In fact the result line shows "9,150,000 results!"

Looking at the first couple of ebay listings, they show "BACHMANN/SPECTRUM K4 4-6-2 PACIFIC POST WAR PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD #1361 HO SCALE."

Of course the next responses here will try to address the OP's message that it ". . . does not work consistently," whatever that might mean.

Happy RRing

Jerry

Jerry.

You are correct but is it up to us to Google and find out what he's asking about?

While we may assume he's questioning a Bachmann product, maybe he isn't?  :)

While Google may answer lots of questions asked by people on all message boards and news groups, when asking a help question the onus to provide details must lay with the person asking the questions.

Now, if he explains, like you asked, what ". . . does not work consistently"  means, we can all jump in a try to help.

Cheers

Roger.

Doneldon

Googling "Bachmann 1361" produces lots of returns. In fact the result line shows "9,150,000 results!"

Jerry-

I searched for "1361" in the Bachmann online store and got nothing. I figured it was probably an engine number but I didn't think I needed to go through every engine in every scale in every line Bachmann makes to find 1361.

I believe the OP, like many newbies, didn't think he needed to give more information because he knew what he meant and he didn't realize that everybody else wouldn't automatically know, too. So he innocently put down what he thought was adequate information. Having the need for additional information clarified for him will hopefully help him and other people on the board understand how difficult it is to answer questions helpfully when we all have to imagine what the problem is (a la "my engine quit working") and maybe even what the model is.
                                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

JerryB

Quote from: rogertra on January 25, 2014, 03:59:52 PM

Happy RRing

Jerry

Jerry.

You are correct but is it up to us to Google and find out what he's asking about?

While we may assume he's questioning a Bachmann product, maybe he isn't?  :)

While Google may answer lots of questions asked by people on all message boards and news groups, when asking a help question the onus to provide details must lay with the person asking the questions.

Now, if he explains, like you asked, what ". . . does not work consistently"  means, we can all jump in a try to help.

Cheers

Roger.

Roger:

Far from suggesting we are responsible for determining what the OP meant, I was only suggesting that with over 9 million hits on Google, the OP, or perhaps someone who works in H0 scale could have provided more information. This appears to be an out of production, but not rare engine, and apparently was a Bachmann product. The expectation would be that there are numerous members here who are familiar with it. I apologize that this did not come across in my response!

I might be wrong, but suspect many of these "I have a train; What could be wrong with it?" postings are really not trying to gain information, but rather are just trolling the internet. There are at least two new ones on this board right now.

Meanwhile, we don't see any further posts from "Glenn E," who has the "1361 . . . that does not work consistently."

Happy (Well Informed) RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jbrock27

JerryB, for what purpose would "Glenn" be trolling here about his Spectrum "1361"?

I think Doc hit the nail on the head with his assessment.

Oh, and by the way, I am really having trouble with my 6383...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Glenn E

Yes I am a "Newbi" - I am getting into HO trains because my Grandson, 3 years old, loves trains. I have never owed on myself. I purchase this "Used" HO 1361 Spectrum by Bachmann engine at a train shoe here in Stuart Florida last weekend. It worked when we tested there. Once I brought it home it ran for a little while but not that well. I tried to clean the front wheels where it seems to me the power is transmitted to engine. This did not help. The front light comes on when I put power to it but it does not run. It will from time to time start but quickly stop running. I can hear the motor humming inside. - I did not post anything else yesterday, I went to the park with my other Grandson.

I would appreciate any assistance

Glenn
Opa (To my Grandkids)

Jerrys HO

Glen
I assume (which I should not) that this is an HO K4 as JerryB stated.
You still have more details needed.
What type of power source are you using DC or DCC?
Are your track connections tight and not loose? (check the joiners)

I see your logged in so I will post this to get you thinking and add more for the checklist.

You may have side rod linkage binding.
Being a newb, I can only suggest you send it in to Bachmann and pay the fee to have it repaired or replaced. Check the Part's and Service tab up top for the costs and shipping address.
If you have a local hobby shop that repairs trains you may check with them first as it may be a simple fix.
Noting you have never owned trains before is the only reason I suggest the above unless you are confident in removing the shell for further inspection.

Jerry

Glenn E

It is DC, and the connections are tight my other engine runs fine. There are several people I can contact locally. I will do that and see where it brings me.

Thank You

jbrock27

It would cost Glenn $25 plus whatever it costs him for shipping.  Based on whatever the price paid at the train show was, I would weigh that into the consideration.

Have we established what kind of Spectrum model this is?

Glenn, I am sorry this happened to you.  I can certainly understand your reasons for buying it.  This is exactly for the reason why I have stated in several postings here, that I am against buying this kind of item at a train show-once you are gone from there, if it does not work, you have no recourse with the seller, or least more often than not.  A different story when purchasing from other sources.
I do certainly hope you can get some cost effective help with this Glenn and good luck to you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

The only steam engine locos, or any loco for that matter that I purchase at trains shows are from dealer's stalls and I keep the receipts.

What I buy from the tables are steam locos scheduled for my scrap line and I don't care if they work or not just providing they are generic looking and are reasonably complete and cheap.  When they get home and when I get around to them, the first things to be removed are the motor and the main rod, as I like my scrap engines to be free wheeling.  Every now and then, one or more of them gets switched into a Montreal bound way freight to be hauled away for scrap.  Adds a  little interesting twist to an operations session.  :)

But the main point here when buying from non dealer tables is, Buyer Beware!