News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

British trains in US

Started by scouse, January 23, 2014, 04:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scouse

Probably a really silly question, but I just wanted to be sure.

I am an Englishman living in the United States. I used to love 00 gauge railway modelling back home (many, many years ago), and would like to get back into the hobby, this time with an N scale layout.

If I build my N scale layout using (American) Bachmann components - track, controllers, etc, and then buy my locos and rolling stock online, shipped from the UK (Graham Farish products: http://www.bachmann.co.uk/farish.php), will I have any problems running the British trains on the American layout?

I'm excited about having a layout again. I'm looking to model the railway of my youth - British Rail in the 1970s and 1980s. Fun stuff like this, which used to show up at Liverpool Lime Street station:

Getting to grips with DCC is probably going to be first step in the process (it was all analogue last time I had model trains).

Anyway, any advice re: running British N gauge trains on an American N scale layout would be much appreciated.

bobwrgt

I have over 80 English engines in both HO and N scale from Ebay UK. Never had a problem running on my US layout. I only run DC. Can't vouch for DCC. Couplers are different.
Never had a problem with sellers in the UK and everything was delivered thru Royal Mail with no problems.

dtpowell

I model British N scale too. I have many Graham Farish and Dapol models in conventional and in DCC. You will have no problems.
I use Kato track and switches myself. I have also used Peco and Atlas track in the past with good success. I personally don't care for Bachmann track. You will have no trouble running any of your British loco's on any American layout.

The only locomotive I've had issues with is a Dapol A3 Flying Scotsman DCC equipted.  I haven't converted my layout to total DCC operation for many reasons. Most manufactures DCC equipted loco will run in conventional with no problems except for loco's with sound(Limited sounds in convention). Not so with the A3. It surges in conventional. I was so convinced the loco was defective I sent it back for repairs. They returned it so fast I didn't believe they did anything. The point is they quickly switched out the mechanism, but failed to test the loco for conventional operation. It still surges, but it runs like a fine watch in DCC. The problem may actually be a "stepping" issue? Which I'm not experienced enough with DCC to adjust.