News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

45 tonner pics

Started by Mike Kieran, January 27, 2014, 12:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Kieran

I love my 45 tonners and I want to post pics of the ones that I have.

Port Able Railway #2 (soon to get a permanent decal and new number to #5) delivering a BB&G boxcar to the Regina Manufacturing Corporation.

Penvan Railroad GE 45 ton locomotive #2 bringing a GERN covered hopper to RU Ready Mix.

To enquiring friends: I have troubles today that I had not yesterday. I had troubles yesterday which I have not today. On this site will be built a bigger, better, Steeplechase Park. Admission to the burning ruins - 10cents. -  George C. Tilyou, owner of Steeplechase Park in Coney Island.

electrical whiz kid

Hi; Just thought I would say nice job.  I have always been a little partial to these locomotives.  Where I lived in E. Braintree as a kid, I had a good view of the switching spur that went over to Fore River Shipyard in the fifties. A long time ago, there was an article in Model Railroader-I want to say in January 68-but could be wrong-about a layout called the "Port Able" lines, owned by a one Bernie Delatorre.  It was pretty neat affair, which, as the name implies, could be taken up and stored, transported-what have you.  Good Luck to you here.
Rich C. 

Mike Kieran

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 02, 2014, 11:38:11 AM
Hi; Just thought I would say nice job.  I have always been a little partial to these locomotives.  Where I lived in E. Braintree as a kid, I had a good view of the switching spur that went over to Fore River Shipyard in the fifties. A long time ago, there was an article in Model Railroader-I want to say in January 68-but could be wrong-about a layout called the "Port Able" lines, owned by a one Bernie Delatorre.  It was pretty neat affair, which, as the name implies, could be taken up and stored, transported-what have you.  Good Luck to you here.
Rich C. 

I was asked that once. I wish that I could have seen it. I came up with the name of the railroad to explain its concept. The layout comes apart into three 22 inch by 40 inch pieces to be (portable) and it will sit on my dining room table (por table).

I am a big fan of the Fore River/Quincy Bay line. That would be fun to model.
To enquiring friends: I have troubles today that I had not yesterday. I had troubles yesterday which I have not today. On this site will be built a bigger, better, Steeplechase Park. Admission to the burning ruins - 10cents. -  George C. Tilyou, owner of Steeplechase Park in Coney Island.

kamerad47

Mike Kieran

Ya got me Kamerad!!! Where's your 45 tonner shot?

Here's another Shot of the Port Able Railway 45 tonner picking up a Bath & Hammondsport boxcar

and Penvan Railroad #2 at the New York Central interchange for a retro black and white shot.

kamerad47

I tried but this site not so pic friendly !!

AGSB

You can't upload pictures directly to this site. You have to have an account on a picture site such as Flicker, Photobucket, Picaso, etc. and link to a picture you have uploaded to there.

Mike Kieran

I have a Flickr account, but it's really not hard to set up.

electrical whiz kid

Hi all;
When I was living in E. Braintree as a kid, I got pretty familiar with that line; scored a couple of rides in that little engine  as well.  One thing that I have to say is that just before the railroad got to Fore River Shipyard, it passed "Echo Lake", a quarry where we used to so swimming, as well as what was left of the old Granite Railroad-I believe it was the first railroad in the country.  All in all though, it was a pretty little "spur line railroad", even as short as it was. I would say it was about maybe eight miles long, with a connection to the New Haven there by Allen Street in E. Braintree; all in all, a great big "U" configuration.
Rich C.

Mike Kieran

I first became aware of this railroad when Railfan and Railroad did a piece on it back in the 90's IIRC. The profiled it as the Quincy Bay Terminal and that's where I began my fascination with it.

richg

If you ever get adventurous, you can convert the 45 ton to sound. A few have done that.
I have sound in a 44 ton and 70 ton

Rich

Mike Kieran

Mike Kieran

Thanks. I'm thinking the Soundtraxx Tsunami TSU-750.