News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC/DC HELP NEEDED

Started by wheelchairman, January 22, 2014, 06:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelchairman

Hello, I am new to this site but need help if possible, I bought an N Gauge Peter Witt Street Car with 'DCC on Board' ran on DC perfectly, was lent a Gaugemaster Prodigy Express DCC I believe it is sold under a different name in U.S. any way it ran well on DCC but now will NOT run on DC, I only gave it an address 4 figure and as far as I know change nothing else - can some one please tell me what to do? the strange thing is I programmed another Peter Witt but this time with a Bachmann Dynamis DCC set up and that Street Car runs on both systems, any help would be really appreciated, I am a total newbie to DCC, and long in the tooth  ;)
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me

Fred

Hunt

During programming of the locomotive address the Alternate Power Source, which is Bit2 of CV29, was likely automatically disabled by the Gaugemaster Prodigy Express.

Program a value 6 to CV29 if you wish to run with DC or DCC.

If you are going to control only with DCC, best to leave the Alternate Power Source feature disabled.

wheelchairman

Thanks for your reply, if i leave it to run DCC and DC as I could then use it on both layouts - will it cause problems i.e. motor burn out or anything else?
Many Thanks,
Fred

richg

Quote from: wheelchairman on January 23, 2014, 09:22:35 AM
Thanks for your reply, if i leave it to run DCC and DC as I could then use it on both layouts - will it cause problems i.e. motor burn out or anything else?
Many Thanks,
Fred

Many disable the DC option when running on DCC as a glitch can cause a full speed runaway. Your mileage may vary.

Rich

Hunt

Fred,
You can leave the Alternate Power Source feature enabled without concern about heat damage to model or decoder.

An aside --
DCC is an AC waveform. The possibility of DC motor damage, due to overheating, occurs when a locomotive that is not equipped with a DCC decoder is run using DCC. The decoder does lots of things one of which is to rectify the AC to DC.

Only a DCC system with "zero bit stretching feature" can control a locomotive without a decoder installed. The Bachmann Dynamis and Dynamis Pro systems do not have this feature.

wheelchairman

Dear Rich G and Hunt, many thanks for your replies, The one done with the Dynamis will be safe to try, I've left them on the shelf, the one programmed with the Prodigy needs sorting out, I'll borrow it and try and read CV 29 and enable DC and DCC - sound confident ?  I haven't got an idea but for the help here and on forums

Many Thanks,

Fred

I am tempted to do an HO run, just seen a Birney with DCC on board, and a Peter Witt with same specs - if only I had expandable space  ;)

wheelchairman

Dear Rich G and Hunt, reset the CV 29 values and all is go  ;D ;D ;D
Many Thanks for your help
Fred