News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dummy locomotives

Started by newguy, September 28, 2007, 10:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy

Dear Bachmann,

I'm interested in purchasing some dummy diesel locomotives that match the ones that I already have. All but one of my locos is made by Bachmann. Does Bachmann sell these? I don't see them on the website but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks,
New guy

the Bach-man

Dear New Guy,
No, we don't produce dummy locos.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

Amtrak_Titan

I think bachmann did sell dummy locomotives in the past. I think during the 1970s.

Hunt

A dummy diesel locomotive is included in some Bachmann train sets, but not available for separate purchase. (example, item 00627).

newguy

That's too bad.  :(  I have seen other manufacturers offer the dummy diesel locos but I don't know if I would ever be able to find ones that match the paint schemes and exact types of locos that I have from Bachmann. With much due respect to Bachmann, I'm surprised that they don't offer the dummies with each diesel loco currently available. The shell is already made and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to offer. Maybe there isn't enough demand for them. That would be my product sugestion - does anyone else agree?

new guy

SteamGene

Why have a dummy when you can have a powered one that does what an additional diesel does in real life - add power to the train?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear New Guy,
Hunt is correct; I forgot about that set...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hunt

Quote from: newguy123 on September 29, 2007, 06:49:27 AM
That's too bad.  :(  I have seen other manufacturers offer the dummy diesel locos but I don't know if I would ever be able to find ones that match the paint schemes and exact types of locos that I have from Bachmann. With much due respect to Bachmann, I'm surprised that they don't offer the dummies with each diesel loco currently available. The shell is already made and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to offer. Maybe there isn't enough demand for them. That would be my product sugestion - does anyone else agree?

new guy
With DC... rare you would need a dummy locomotive if you have the proper power pack.

When using DCC, there is no reason for a dummy locomotive.

MrMunchkin

except that, in the cases where you don't need the extra power of two powered locomotives, the cost would (should)  be less (in the case of Athearn, the only maker of dummys that I know of, it is) and also you could mount a much larger speaker, or two, in a locomotive with no drive gear, making for a much better sounding sound system.

r.cprmier

That dummy could be the housing for a gasser of a sound system!!  Think BEEEEEEEEEG speakers!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

PhilipCal

I may have two or three dummy locomotives to my name. At one point, about 25-30 years ago, running two or more powered engines could be a real adventure, and the dummy was a very logical alternative. With DCC, plus the increased uniformity of motor performance, dummies aren't the attraction they once were. As noted, it's far easier now to duplicate prototype performance in our model operations.

SteamGene

I note that only diesels have dummys.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

They sell unpowered steam locomotive "kits", but not dummies.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

bevernie

Just a thought, and you can take it for what it's worth, but, if you really want a dummy and want it to be BACHMANN, why not simply take thr "running gear" out of a BACHMANN, and make it a dummy? Then, you could sell the "running gear" at a "swap meet", or on EBAY, and recoup part of your cost!
                                                                                  THANX!!
                                                                                    Ernie
                                                                          Hendersonville, NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

newguy

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I'm using DCC I have just assigned a couple of GP-40 locos the same number and I run them together back to back. It seems to work ok except that I notice that in reverse the  locos run faster than going forward. I don't know if that makes much difference to the slightly slower moving forward-facing loco or not. I guess Bachmann is aware of it since they teach you how to link the locos on their instructional dvd.

New Guy