News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco S2 sound improvement simple

Started by ALCO1000, January 29, 2014, 09:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO1000

Hello People,
EXPERIMENTED WITH THE SOUND A FEW DIFFERENT WAYS  FOUND A Little tip to Improve the ALCO s2 sound that we found very good, but lacking the low end diesel sound that the ALCO diesel has,
The sound is there but needed help getting out,

The procedure requires removing the shell and with a drill bit carefully ream out the hole at the top of the speaker enclosure to 1/4 inch by hand ONLY!!!!!!!,Make sure to tape the front headlight wires to protect them from the bit scraping them with a small piece of masking tape.
Next find a piece of cardboard from a serial box ,that thickness and cut a piece to fit in the rectangular section in the shell the radiator section,
Use your point of the scissors to make a 1/8 inch hole in the middle of the cardboard piece you cut out DOESENOT HAVE TO BE A CLEAN HOLE OR PERFECT JUST A HOLE and insert it in the section in the shell ,
No glue or tape just cut it to fit tight in the shells rectangular section above the speaker box, MIGHT TAKE A FEW TRIES TO GET IT RIGHT,! Reinstall the shell and enjoy!You will hear the rattling of the diesel like you never did before especially at the second notch,Have fun !
Jack

Doneldon

Al1K-

I'm unfamiliar with the loco you posted about so I might be coming in from left field on this (the first time
in my life to such a thing, of course), but make certain that your modifications don't penetrate the speaker
enclosure because that will significantly disrupt the sound.
                                                                                            -- D

ALCO1000

Quote from: Doneldon on January 31, 2014, 02:38:53 PM
Al1K-

I'm unfamiliar with the loco you posted about so I might be coming in from left field on this (the first time
in my life to such a thing, of course), but make certain that your modifications don't penetrate the speaker
enclosure because that will significantly disrupt the sound.
                                                                                            -- D

YES GOOD ADVISE! NEED TO STAY AT THE TOP OF THE BOX DO NOT GO THROUGH IT , THIS  SPEAKER IS OFFSET IN THE LOWER HALF AT THE OTHER END OF THE BOX SO IF YOU HIT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX ACCIDENTALLY YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DAMAGING THE SPEAKER BECAUSE IT IS AT THE OTHER END JUST DO NOT PUSH TO HARD , JUST LIGHTLY REAM THE TOP HOLE OF THE BOX WITH A 1/4 BIT ONLY TAKES A FEW LIGHT TURNS OF THE BIT WITH YOUR FINGERS AND YOUR DONE CLEAN UP ANY BURRS WITH A REVERSE  TURN.
THANKS!, Jack

Bucksco

Jerrys HO

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on February 01, 2014, 09:01:34 AM
He had to the volume was too loud! ;D

Sadly an all to common problem.

I SAID, IT'S A COMMON PROBLEM!!!!!!  ;D

ALCO1000

Quote from: Yardmaster on February 01, 2014, 08:46:00 AM
No need to SHOUT.....

Bold print is in no means shouting,IT  is Print,,IT is just being used as TO highlight the detail so there will not be a misunderstanding with the procedure that was stated, plus some people may not be as youthful as your self and it tend to read a little easier when specific details need to be addressed,No need to be critical on how someone types when there just trying to help other people,I WAS ALWAYS TAUGHT THAT IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMTHING GOOD OR NICE TO SAY ,DONT SAY ANYTHING
Jack

Len

While it's true in some circles all caps = shouting, I recently learned some folks with vision problems keep the 'Caps Lock' key on all the time so they can see what they are typing.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

Quote from: ALCO1000 on February 01, 2014, 10:31:27 AM
Bold print is in no means shouting,IT  is Print,,IT is just being used as TO highlight the detail

Jack-

It is a common convention, one which is used on this site, that all caps DO denote shouting. Additionally,
you said caps are used to highlight a detail. That's true, but there is no highlighting when you use caps
FOR EVERY SINGLE LETTER!
                                                -- D

rogertra

I have, or rather did have vision problems.

I am blind in the left eye and used to wear coke bottle glasses to see out of my right eye.  Something like -40 vision in the right eye.

I had eye surgery last Wednesday, January 22 when they put a plastic lens into my right eye, with no sedation BTW,  just drops in the eye and now my vision is around -5, which means I need glasses for reading but no longer need them for driving.

My point?  You do NOT need caps if you have a vision problem.  If you have a PC, there is a "zoom" function.  In Windozs 7, it's in the menu in the top right hand corner of the monitor and you can zoom from 110% up to 500% so there is NO NEED TO SHOUT!
People really should learn and explore their computer as it's quite amazing what it can do.  :)
I'm sure Macs will have something similar though being a non-intuitive Mac it'll be harder to find.
If you need to emphase something use bold as again, there's no need for caps.

Oh, and why we are at it, there is a built in spellchecker in this forum that could and should be used by everybody more often.

Cheers

Roger.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Len on February 01, 2014, 11:30:18 AM
While it's true in some circles all caps = shouting, I recently learned some folks with vision problems keep the 'Caps Lock' key on all the time so they can see what they are typing.

Len

Then they need glasses (by the way,I do), or quit trying to use their phone as a computer. ::)

I have always considered it shouting.

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on February 01, 2014, 04:39:03 PM
Quote from: ALCO1000 on February 01, 2014, 10:31:27 AM
Bold print is in no means shouting,IT  is Print,,IT is just being used as TO highlight the detail

Jack-

It is a common convention, one which is used on this site, that all caps DO denote shouting. Additionally,
you said caps are used to highlight a detail. That's true, but there is no highlighting when you use caps
FOR EVERY SINGLE LETTER!
                                               -- D

Actually, there's no need for caps to highlight something, you should use the bold function.  You find it in the Add BBC Tags, above the emoticons when you are composing or modifying a post.  ;D

Cheers

Roger.

Jerrys HO

QuoteActually, there's no need for caps to highlight something, you should use the bold function.  You find it in the Add BBC Tags, above the emoticons when you are composing or modifying a post.  Grin

Cheers

Roger.

Thanks Roger, I always wondered how JBrock did that. ;D

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Good tip Roger on the ZOOM function.  GOOGLE CHROME also has this function in the top right corner of the screen.  There is a series of 3 bars.  If one clicks on it a drop down menu appears and in the menu is a ZOOM feature which may help some folks.

Keep Calm and Carry On