News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

volts and amps

Started by DonUp665, January 29, 2014, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonUp665

new to large scale trains, setting up track and need to know what the best power supply to use for a C-19 loco on brass track outdoors.  what volt and amp are required for the C-19     Thanks

armorsmith

Good day Don,

I am going to make a broad, catch all statement here.  Large scale as a whole is set up to use an 18-24 volt power supply and something above 3 amp as a minimum.  I am not intimately familiar with the C-19, but my  K27 (also a Bachmann product) has a very good motor - a Pittman wound for 19 volts, so I would assume a similar design for the C-19.

That being said, there are several manufacturers who make good grade power supplies for large scale, and any of them will work well.  For a short outdoor layout with small length trains, even the very basic one Bachmann sells with their starter sets will work for a while.  I personally use a single voltage Meanwell 24 volt switching power supply with an Aristo Craft Train Engineer R/C control for track power.  If I were looking for a single package to plug in and connect to the track I would most likely go with a Bridgewerks.  Not cheap, but has a great warranty and will last a LOOONNNNNNGGG time.

Your brass track for outdoor use is a good, sound choice.  When assembling the track make sure you make tight connections at the joints.  I will not get into the various methods and opinions on track connections.  Brass track will allow a fairly large loop to be powered from a single feed (assuming good joints).

For some additional information on track and power supplies, research threads on My Large Scale forum www.mylargescale.com and Large Scale Central forum www.largescalecentral.com.  Both will have numerous threads on both topics with a good group of experienced large scalers ready and willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Welcome to the world of Large Scale trains.

Bob C.

Chuck N

Many of us recommend a minimum of 20-24v and 10 amp.  This will cover any future expansion.  I figure 1 amp per motor.  Lights on engine and cars increases the current, sound and smoke also add draw.   Most starter sets are rated at less than 1 amp.  I have a 1:29 passenger train that pulls 7 amps.  The engine is a USAt SD70mac (2 motors=2amps) and 10 USAt streamliners (0.5amps per car=5amps).  

I have two Bridgewerks power supplies, one 15 amp and one 10 amp.  There are others out there.

Chuck

uscgtanker

One more thing to consider. Brass track is a great conductor, but given time out doors it will corrode and turn green. Then the rail is no good. I have been trying to clean some 15 year old LGB track with varying degrees of failure / success.

Chuck N

I've had some of my LGB brass rail out for 30 years and it still is fine.  I use a green Scotchbrite pad to keep the top of the rails polished.  Chuck

armorsmith

Yes, brass track is an excellent conductor and weathers well outdoors.  Brass will tarnish (the brownish greenish color) when left outdoors, but this is a natural protectant nature provides.  The only two areas of the track that need to remain clean is the top of the rail where the wheel rides on the rail and the connections at the joints in the track.
There are as many opinions on connectivity and track joints as there are people to discuss them.  I will not address those here unless requested.
The top of the rails is another, much easier addressed topic.  Short of purchasing an expensive LGB powere rail cleaner, AristoCraft track cleaner, Trackman 2000, etc. the simplest method is to use a Scotchbrite pad on the end of a pole used for sanding joint compound on sheet rock. I have heard that a bit of automatic transmission fluid on the scotchbrite pad aids in cleaning and deters future tarnish, but I have no personal experience with that technique.
My club has something close to 2,000 feet of brass track down and we do not have any major cleaning issues a scotchbrite and pole can't cure.  It has been down and operating for about 5 years now.  There are many other garden railroaders who have much longer stories to tell.