Dynamis multiple output connections-two separate runs-safe???

Started by rjwalter, January 25, 2014, 11:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwalter

I have connected two separate (non-connecting) layouts to my Dynamis command station.
One layout is connected to the 3.5mm jack-running two trains.  The other layout is connected
to the screw terminal.  Each layout covers an 8ft. x 8ft. area, with 2 DCC turnouts on each run.

Each layout measures 14.5 volts consistently around the layout.

Is there any potential problems with this type of configuration?  Is it safe to connect both outputs
to the two layouts? It seems to be running fine. I'm able to run 2 trains on each layout with the handheld.

Thanks, RJW

Doneldon

rj-

What you describe is certainly unconventional but I can't think of a reason it won't work safely.

-- D

AGSB

The only problem I can see is if you attempt to program a loco (in Service Track mode) on one layout, it will program all locos on the other layout also.

RAM

It is the same as having two tracks on the same layout that are not connected to each other.

AGSB

If you are referring to a "Service Track" electrically separated from the layout, then no. The Dynamis, without the Pro box, turns the whole layout into a Service Track and all locos on the layout will receive the instructions sent by the controller. The Dynamis, by itself, can perform limited programming using Main Track/Ops Mode programming for a specific loco. Example you can program a 4 digit address for a loco in Service Track mode but only assign a 2 digit address in Main Track/Ops mode.
The two connections on  the back of the Dynamis are technically not to be used together, it's either/or. The screw terminals are designed for layouts requiring more power than the 3.5mm plug delivers, but they both carry the same information.
To use a Service Track with the straight Dynamis controller you have to set your layout up with an isolating section of track between the Service Track and the layout with the appropriate switch to isolate the Service Track from the layout and connect it to the controller.
With the Pro Box you can have an isolated Service Track as part of your layout and the Pro box does this switching automatically when you enter Service Track mode.

Bob_B

That's an interesting concept and one I may consider myself.
Here is the info I received from Bachmann when I queried them about using those two Dynamis connectors at the same time to power different sections of a layout rather than use a power distribution block.
They said it was fine provided I ensured I got the polarities correct to prevent shorting.
As far as programming locos, I just remove all but the one I'm programming from the track.

Doneldon

Quote from: Bob_B on January 28, 2014, 06:58:54 PM
As far as programming locos, I just remove all but the one I'm programming from the track.

Bob-

Wouldn't it be easier to have a dedicated programming track on your workbench or a siding on your layout which you can electrically switch off from the rest of the track? Removing all of your locos sounds like a lot of hassle plus it begs for handling damage to the equipment.
                                                                                                                                             -- D

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Doneldon on January 25, 2014, 11:41:31 PM
rj-

What you describe is certainly unconventional but I can't think of a reason it won't work safely.

-- D

Quote from: Doneldon on January 29, 2014, 05:48:44 PM
Quote from: Bob_B on January 28, 2014, 06:58:54 PM

Bob-

Wouldn't it be easier to have a dedicated programming track on your workbench or a siding on your layout which you can electrically switch off from the rest of the track? Removing all of your locos sounds like a lot of hassle plus it begs for handling damage to the equipment.
                                                                                                                                             -- D

Oh boy I am really confused now. Which is it?