News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dash 8 40CW

Started by Nick O, January 31, 2014, 07:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick O

I have an older Bachmann Spectrum CSX Dash 8 which has some drive issues.  The motor runs well but the transmission of the power to the front and rear drive trucks is intermittent.  It appears that the drive shafts or connections of the drive shafts are not engaging with the truck drives.  The truck assemblies seem to run free separately.  Any clues as to what parts to replace or if it the best bet is to send to Bachmann service for repair.  Don't want to dig into the unit if it is better to just use the lifetime warranty for Bachmann loco's for their drive units.

Doneldon

Nick-

There are several possible problems with broken gears or gears which are no longer securely attached to their axles probably the most likely. It's hard to say if you'll even be able to get parts. I would guess that Bachmann won't try to fix the problem because of the age of the loco and the time involved to repair it. That means they'll likely send a replacement loco. Your item is old enough that they might not have a direct replacement in which case they may offer a current model which could be a good deal for you.

This is ordinarily a very busy time in the service department because so many non model rails purchase trains over the holidays but don't know how to handle minor problems which come up so please be patient. I, surprisingly, have seen very few irate posts this year complaining of a non-responsive service needs so Bachmann may have jiggered things around to stay ahead of the rush. If so, mega kudos to the B'mann because we all understand just how hectic things can be right after the holidays.

If I were you, I'd return the loco to Bachmann.
                                                                            -- D

Nick O

After talking with Bachmann directly, they recommended that exact path.  I've completed a repair order and getting ready to send the unit back for evaluation.  The model is not currently in production so if they cannot repair, it will probably be a similar (not exact) swap out.  Glad to hear your suggestion was exactly what I thought and Bachmann recommended.  Its great when all signals point in the same direction.  Thanks for the suggestion and note to be patient after the holiday surge.

bobwrgt

If it's not to late. It is common for the female coupling (universal) on the truck end of the drive shaft to slip or crack. You would have to drop the trucks and replace them or put some superglue on them.
Bachmann should be able to fix as the 8-40c uses the same drive parts. The 8-40c is still available.

Nick O

Thanks for the advise.  I considered doing that until I found the rear drive had a different issue.  It was still intermittent drive, but caused by the motor to drive shaft not engaging all the time.  Before I spend $30 in parts and shipping, it seemed more appropriate to spend the $35 with Bachmann and get everything fixed versus taking a chance.  Love working on them but know when its time to punt.  That wouldn't be the case with another manufacturer but since Bachmann stands behind their units like they do, I think exercising that options is the right way to go.  Worst case is I'll spend another few bucks but get back a fully functioning loco.

ALCO1000

Quote from: bobwrgt on February 01, 2014, 07:21:48 AM
If it's not to late. It is common for the female coupling (universal) on the truck end of the drive shaft to slip or crack. You would have to drop the trucks and replace them or put some superglue on them.
Bachmann should be able to fix as the 8-40c uses the same drive parts. The 8-40c is still available.

THE new DASH 8 does not use the same drive shafts and or couplings,they use a older Athearn blue box style but even Beefier,The common problem was fixed there!,In order to use the new parts , you need the new motor with the flywheels that have the new coupling and the drive shafts ,THESE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH BACHMANN parts CATALOG ONLINE.This fix will eliminate the common problem on this model,IF you use there original parts to repair this it will have the same common problem all over again!
Jack

Nick O

Thanks for the note.  That was what it looked like to me.  I have a Blue Box Athearn Dash 8 40CW as well and the drive looks identical.  The parts on the Bachmann website didn't match the parts in the Bachmann loco which makes it confusing.  I chose to send it to Bachmann for an evaluation and will take the repair or replacement when they look into it.  The motor cost with the drives was an option but the cost was going to be more than the flat rate cost at Bachmann service.  I'm not married to the unit as it wasn't customized or had sentimental value, so offering it up for repair or replacement seemed logical.

You were the second person to mention loctite as an optional fix.  Looking closely at the unit, I think the drives would last a little a couple of hours and then be back in the same condition.  Good running engines, rolling stock and track is the goal of model railroading in my book.  Putting bandaids on them goes against that philosophy.

bobwrgt

When I got my BLI Hudson 1st release some 15+ years ago the motor would run but the engine would not move. Upon inspection the flywheel coupling was spinning loose on the motor shaft. A few drops of superglue fixed it. Been running ever since with no problem pulling a 25+ car train. Never had to re-glue any engines with this problem or fix.

Nick O

Thanks for the suggestion.  The specific engine had that coupling slipping which was probably worth trying to repair myself.  It also had another issue with the driveshaft slipping above the truck joint (different drive issue on each end of the unit) which created another chance to try a different repair solution.  Having two repairs of different origin and type, and no clear solution on the other driveshaft to truck joint repair (parts didn't match my unit), I was between a rock and a hard place.  It may cost more to have Bachmann repair.  I guess I may have jumped the gun on options for repair before sending it to them.  Probably could have been done with a minimal of parts even if it took a few shots at making it work.  Bachmann Service received the unit on the 10th of February and gave me a 4-6 week response time.  Since it wasn't weathered or customized yet, I didn't risk not getting it back from service with all the extra time wasted (replacement option).  Only time will tell on the outcome of what Bachmann can do in their service department.

ALCO1000

Do you have the old standard cab version or the safety cab(slang) wide cab version .They do have the new safety cab version in production hopefully they will just hook you up with one of those ,really nice ,I have one of the new tooling version that was released back in the 90s ,rare bird!, If you can find one of those its a keeper!Good Luck with your plan .
Jack 

Nick O

Its the safety cab (W version) which is a nice piece.  Being a Spectrum engine, the detail is very good and the unit is good enough to save if possible.  I hope the unit can be repaired.  I'll hear something in a few weeks and hope for the best.