question about an plder sierra sound board

Started by robertalan51, February 01, 2014, 10:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertalan51

:-\  Hi, Bought an old Bmann 4-6-0 big haulerw/tender......it came with an older Sierra sound board installed. The owner said he wasn't how well the sound worked. I decided to remove the sound from the tender an maybe use it in a different loco. My question is .........Does anyone know anything about this particular sound board? What I found printed on the board was........SIERRA STEAM  VER 1.3 (2) 2001/ THROTTLE UP    and also   SOUNDTRAXX (2) 2001     800109  K 28.  Does this make sense to anyone? I just need to know what wires are for what operations. There are no numbers by the long main terminal. I did find a set of 2 wires on the end that were tied off and not in use. I didn't find any reed switchs on the engine or the tender for whistle /bell......also no signs of a chuff switch either. Any and all info on this set up will be very very much appreciated. I'm just looking for a descent useable sound system. 

Bucksco

Sierra Sound boards were produced by SoundTraxx in Durango Colorado for Large Scale locomotives. Although they are no longer producing this product SoundTraxx is still there producing the best sound for model railroads. You may want to give them a call and talk to their customer service department.  http://www.soundtraxx.com/

robertalan51

Loco Bill Canelos

The numbers on your Sierra are reflective of the older discontinued boards.  You board was made with the sounds for the D&RGW K-28 locomotive and will sound great on you 4-6-0 once you get it going.  I have never had any luck with help from sierra on these old discontinued products. The knowledgeable folks are gone but they may still have some wiring info online. I have two sierra units in my locos,  I can't find the instructions tho.   Basically there are eight wires.

Two go to the speakers, two are the power in to the board either from track or battery.  Two are for chuff sensors for steamers, and two are connected to the motor circuit.  There is also a circuit connected to a separate small onboard battery which powers the idle sounds when the loco is stopped.  The small onboard battery is not needed if your Loco will be powered by a large battery

The boards can be used to work entirely on automatic without a chuff sensor. When in that mode the whistle signals two for forward and three for back and one for stop work automatically based on voltage increase and polarity changes as you start up and stop.  While running the crossing whistle signal is triggered by using your controller to make a sudden increase in voltage, followed by a return to the original voltage level.   The bell starts automatically when the loco starts moving and shuts off as speed increases and comes on as the loco slows just before stopping.  All the other sounds like chuff are either based on voltage levels or just occur periodically such as coal shoveling, blowdown, hiss and other background noises.  There were no need for reed switches unless using the chuff sensor and the locomotive you are putting it on does not have that circuit built in.

I wish I could help more, as they were one of the best available systems and produce great sounds.  It is a shame they got out of the G scale market.  

Here is some good info that may well get you started:

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips6/sierra_tips.html

If I find more info I will try to pass it on to you.  I could not find a wiring diagram on the Sierra site.

Cheers & Beers

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Loco Bill Canelos

Here is another source of help:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aft/115002/Default.aspx

You could email Stan Cedarleaf as noted in this thread.  He is a great personal friend and I know he would be glad to send you the pdf.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dave

I have version 2001 Rev. C.3 Throttle up. Send me an Email and we can see what pages you need. I have one installed in a Climax and Its still going strong.

Cheers
           Dave
           New Zealand

dgtrrco

Robert Gene here again send me your email add and Ill send you the wiring for that sound board as have 2-3 of them plus the instructions; DGTRRCO@comcast.net