Victor of Discount Hobby Warehouse is calling it a day. Very Sad.

Started by Mark Damien, February 13, 2007, 01:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Damien

After 30 years in the business Victor of Discount Hobby Warehouse is calling it a day. Very Sad. He closes the doors for the last time in July.

I first met [online] Victor a few years ago when searching for a Bachmann Southern 2-8-0 in Black. Since then he has handled most of my purchases, with a rather cheeky wit.

On one occassion, I wrote "I cannot wait 'til my loco arrived". To which he quipped, "like anticipating a new girlfriends first kiss?"

On another occasion I mentioned how "I loved his personal service & prompt emails".... wait for it....He replied "I love yo' money".

When I wanted to change my order from item 31224 [D&RGW loco].....  "I'll book you on the 31223 from Denver".

Well, all good things come to an end, & although I'll miss his entertaining transactions, I wish him all the best.

Sheldon, There seems to be confusion about DHW. Victor runs DHW in Huntley, Illinois, not the one in San Diego. http://www.discounthobbywarehouse.net/
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Atlantic Central

Mark,

No doubt you recieved good service from this gentleman and his company, however based on the prices on his web site, I can see why he is getting out of the hobby business.

It is a competitive world and the days of retail or near retail prices are long gone in the hobby business.

If his R/C plane/car prices are as high as his train prices, I don't know how he made it this long. That hobby is even more cut throat then the model train business.

I was just in one of our local shops yesterday that sells a lot of Bachmann, they had over 300 spectrum locos on the shelves. It appeard they had just recieved a big shipment from Phily. The prices are in line with Trainworld, very competitive.

Sheldon

The Old Fardt

Hobby shops have different outlooks on how they do business and one I had asked if they would special order an item that they did not carry. I told them that I would pay up front before ordering. They said that was fine BUT I would have to pay full retail. Needless to say, I never bought from them. Found someone else that was happy to make a deal and they did offer me a small discount.. Bought many other items from them since.

Mark Damien

Sheldon,

I sort of dissagree with you on that point. I believe TW beats DHW in some items but not in others. Looking at both sites, DHW appears to be very compeditive with TW. I couldn't see any RC plane or cars on his website - it's all trains. Are you going to
http://www.discounthobbywarehouse.net/

I found you can buy a PCM Big Boy, Athearn Big Boy or Challenger or Life Likes QSi 2-10-2 amongst others, at DHW is much cheaper.

For BLi Hudsons & K-4s, RivaRossi Hieslers & others are cheaper at TW.

Bachmann non sound locos; 2-8-0, K4, Heavy Mountains DHW has it sewn up. For the rest TW does the job. Bachmann 2-10-2s - you can't beat The Favaouite Spot,  PCM Y6B - Factory Direct.

Bachmann Sound loco prices at DHW range from $129 for a Tsunami K4 to $179 for a Tsunami 2-10-2 [all the others in between]. I do not know what TW charge for Bachmann Tsunamis as I can't find them on their web page or in their ads in Model Railroader. But I did think DHW prices were pretty good compared to other sellers I have seen.

Does anyone know what TW & others charge for a Bachmann Tsunami locos?

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Mark Damien

old fardt,

I found Victor quite reasonable when ordering something special. I was quoted close to 40% off retail & no deposit was required.

I'm glad you've found a retailer your happy with.
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Atlantic Central

My appoligies, since you did not give the web address in your orginal post, the search I did yielded a different business with the same name. Somewhere on the west coast. Their prices where just below retail, maybe 15% at most.

Sheldon

Bill Baker

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I try to buy from my local hobby shop every chance I get.  I'm afraid the small brick and mortar shops are slowly going away as the internet and on-line purchasing increases. I blame no one for seeking the most economical priced item they can find, but that still doesn't replace the one on one visit to your LHS.  Particularly if that person is well versed in his products.  There are times you can meet your fellow model railroaders and develop a good relationship.  Also its good to inspect an item before you purchse it...this can't be done through mail order and the internet.  Yeah, I may pay a little more, but for me it's worth it.
Bill

Atlantic Central

Bill,

I agree, I worked in serval of our local shops years ago. Way back in 1980 or so, one shop owner I worked for considered the future of the hobby shop business and even back then we concluded that with the growth in the number of products, in all the various hobbies, trains, planes, models, etc.: and the growth in discounting that the only real future was to be big, buy direct and provide both service and price.

That has happened. There are good shops, with fairly complete inventories, and low prices that still provide that personal service. Where I live we have several within a reasonable drive. What good is a little mom and pop store that only has a small sampling of the vast range of products out there? If I can't look at it and touch it before I buy it at the LHS (because he has to special order everything) I might as well buy it mail order.

Any good shop needs to be big enough to buy the product competitively, sell it competitively, have a representitive inventory and provide good service. Those that do not see this whole picture will go by the wayside.

And while they do a vast mailorder business, Trainworld, MB Klein, and many other big mail order sources ARE brick and mortar stores. If you happen to live near them you can walk in and buy the same stuff at the same prices as their magizine ads.

In fact, their mail order business is often the reason they can have a brick and mortar store with those kind of prices. And still have friendly personal service!

Sheldon

Mark Damien

Sheldon,

I didn't know there was another either 'til I read your first entry. I was a little confused so I did a search, much like you did & found the San Diego store too.
I'm sorry for not entering the URL, I just wasn't expecting another store with the same name. Learning all the time. :)

I agree with supporting my local hobby shops as well.  I buy a lot of rolling stock, track & detail items from them. One is very compeditive, but they do know what is going to be popular & mark it up.  I can't blame them, they have to eat too.

Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark