News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heisler Rough after Reset

Started by ScottyB, February 02, 2014, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyB

Hey all,

My heisler was running smooth as silk. I installed the Soundtraxx module - everything was great. Ran well for a while. I wanted to start over with my sound settings so...

I did a factory reset (CV8 to 8 ) and now it runs terribly choppy, especially at low speed. Same choppiness after taking the sound module back out - very rough running - so I've eliminated the module itself as a culprit.

My thinking is there must be a CV in there somewhere that got messed up, but I have no idea which one. I wonder if the factory reset set something amiss.

Any help is appreciated before I send it in.

Thanks,
Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

railtwister

Did you try unplugging the sound module, then doing a reset, and test running the loco before you plug the sound module back in? I seem to recall hearing that before plugging in the sound module, a reset of all the DCC module settings should be done first, and then you should redo any changes (like different loco address) after the sound module is plugged in. Also remember to make any subsequent changes one at a time, and test run after each change.

Bill in FtL

ScottyB

Quote from: railtwister on February 04, 2014, 09:59:12 AM
Did you try unplugging the sound module, then doing a reset, and test running the loco before you plug the sound module back in? I seem to recall hearing that before plugging in the sound module, a reset of all the DCC module settings should be done first, and then you should redo any changes (like different loco address) after the sound module is plugged in. Also remember to make any subsequent changes one at a time, and test run after each change.

Bill in FtL

Thanks, Bill. Yes I did. The loco with sound were working perfectly before I did the factory reset. I tried every combination, including removing the sound module, resetting, reinstalling the module, resetting.

I was doing as you advised - after the reset I rant the engine, and the choppiness was the result. I didn't make any changes to the factory reset settings.

After a few days of fidgeting, I gave in and just sent it in to Bachmann. I figure it's worth the shipping charge just to get it reset again! Even if they call and say "all we did was reset it." I did try it on another layout just to be sure and got the same results. Since it ran perfectly before the reset, I'm certain it is nothing mechanical but perhaps software related (i.e. a CV I messed up.)

Much appreciated,
Scott

railtwister

I seem to remember hearing of others who had this problem, and as a Heisler owner who is about to install a sound card, I would like to know the cause and the fix for this, because I just hate sending products back. I've been told that Bachmann's Warranty Service usually is just an exchange service, since they don't have the personnel to do diagnostics and repairs because of the costs involved.

I wonder if it's possible to go through the CV's and record their values on a good running Heisler, and then compare them with the problem unit to see where the problem is. Soundtraxx' support has been very helpful with my questions regarding Bachmann locos with factory installed sound in the past, and have saved me needing to send items back on more than one occasion. I would certainly give them a call before I would return anything to Bachmann, it likely would save both time and money.

Bill in FtL

ScottyB

Quote from: railtwister on February 07, 2014, 02:11:03 PM
I seem to remember hearing of others who had this problem, and as a Heisler owner who is about to install a sound card, I would like to know the cause and the fix for this, because I just hate sending products back. I've been told that Bachmann's Warranty Service usually is just an exchange service, since they don't have the personnel to do diagnostics and repairs because of the costs involved.

I wonder if it's possible to go through the CV's and record their values on a good running Heisler, and then compare them with the problem unit to see where the problem is. Soundtraxx' support has been very helpful with my questions regarding Bachmann locos with factory installed sound in the past, and have saved me needing to send items back on more than one occasion. I would certainly give them a call before I would return anything to Bachmann, it likely would save both time and money.

Bill in FtL

Yes, the first thing I do before changing anything is reading all the CVs into JMRI. Then adjusting from there. Unfortunately, after reseting, I clicked "save" (habit) and overwrote the original settings. So I'm certain it's a CV that is the issue. I just don't know which one. I haven't heard anything yet, but if I get a new one, I'll "compare" with the settings I currently have (the reset ones) and maybe I'll find the difference.

Scott

sailorman

I had the same problem last year. See my June 10, 2013 message. You are correct, it is some CV settings. The instructions are misleading. The correct settings are on the front of the sound card brochure. I don't recall what they are off hand. I'll look them up and post. I was ready to send my Heisler back to Bachmann too. Hopefully you haven't done so yet.

Stevelewis

I can confirm  that  all that  it  is  nescessary to  do  is  reset the onboard  decoder  (CV8 value8) BEFORE  FITTING  THE  SOUND  MODULE,  and  read  the  instruction sheet  for the  sound  module  with info regarding certain CV values and reset the  CVs  to the  stated  values,
If you wish you can  set  CV 3  & CV4  to values of  your  choice to give  smooth acceleration  and  deceleration of your loco.

I have fitted  a few  Heislers  and 2-4-4-2s with sound  modules  and  they  all worked  fine  first  time!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

sailorman

I found the Quick Start Guide with the correct CV values! Set CV9 to 12, CV210 to 8, CV212 to 200, CV213 to 8 and CV214 to 8. The instructions say to manually re-program these five CV settings after resetting the decoder to the factory default values. This should solve your problems. My Heisler ran as smooth as silk after these changes.

ScottyB

Hmmph. Well Bachmann has had my heisler for about 3 weeks with no word. For the life of me I can't find that instruction sheet. Anyone have an online link?

But lesson learned, and assuming I get it back, I'm only out $7 for shipping.

Thanks everyone!
Scott