News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler help

Started by Tomww8d, January 27, 2014, 12:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomww8d

I received a Spectrum N scale N&W class J 611 for Christmas. Can anyone tell me what type of coupler system it has so when I buy some rolling stock for it I get the correct coupler. I new to this so I need lots of help. Thanks

James in FL

Hi Tomww8d,

When first released the Spectrum J came with Bachmann's dummy knuckles.
I do not know if the new Bachmann EZ mate II's are a drop in replacement.

Good luck

Tomww8d

thanks James, I appreciate the reply. I wonder if there is a standard coupling system for Ngage ? I like the Knuckle type and hope I can change the coupler on the j. I saw one running on you tube with cars behind so I  "m sure I canuse something. thanks

gatrhumpy

Knuckle couplers are fast becoming the N scale standard, if they aren't already. Even though Bachmann's N scale knuckle couplers are oversize, they should be able to be easily replaced.

Tomww8d

Thanks gatrhumpy,   Bachman mentioned E-Z mate coupler, which one would you recommend ?

bobwrgt

What I have done so I don't have to change all my older rolling stock over . I took one car and have an older coupler on one end and a new knuckle coupler on the other. I use it as an adaptor car for the newer engine I get with knuckle couplers.

gatrhumpy

The Bachmann EZ Mate couplers, I believe, are pretty universal, and they work well if you're not worried about scale size appearances. If you are, then a Z scale Micro Trains coupler would work the best.

James in FL

Several gents here are using the new Bachmann coupler and as I remember, they were very happy with them.
Hopefully they will chime in.
The thing with the J tenders is those old dummy knuckles.
They are really not readily compatible with anything/everything else I own.
It's that nub on the back.
I don't like it.
I've not yet converted mine.
There is way too much space between the tenders as is.
I plan to use as short shank as permissible between them but may have to use a medium on the back of the auxiliary tender.
My J is to be dedicated to only one train of eight smoothsides.
They have already been converted to 1017 trucks and metal wheels.
If you're going to use the newest Bachmann ones, tell us how they fit and how they function.
Tell us how they play with others.
And if they are a drop in replacement.

Chuck_S

Adding on with a question:

I bought an Atlas and a MRC caboose but they have Rapido couplers.  I note Bachmann sells replacements.  But they come in at least three (3) sizes.  What or how do I select the right substitutes?

Atlas?
MRC?

Thanks,

-- Chuck

Mike C

With the atlas caboose just get the atlas replacement trucks with the microtrains style coupler Chuck . They may fit the MRC one also, but I don't really know.

Chuck_S

Thanks.

The couple is frame mounted on both.  Will the truck mounted coupler fit under the frame/

-- Chuck

Albert in N

Check out Bachmann's 78503 short shank operating couplers!  These do NOT fit T-shank coupler pockets on Bachmann (or other brand) locomotives or rolling stock with rapido or Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers.  The 78503 operating coupler photos show that it has rounded shank end with round base plastic whisker spring and attachment hole.  If you tried to use it on T-shank pockets, only the two spring whiskers would keep it from popping loose when you tried to pull a train.  I am not even sure that the 78503 coupler would replace the rounded shank end dummy couplers found on Bachmann's GE 44-ton, GE C30-7, or FM H16-44 diesels.  If anyone has made that conversion, let me know.  I would like to convert my two GE C30-7 Bachmann diesels from dummy knuckle to operating couplers.  The alternative would be to cut, file, fill, and fit the pockets to attach Micro-Train couplers.  Other brand locomotives and rolling stock are much easier to convert to Micro-Trains couplers.  Other than my Bachmann dummy knuckle items (seldom used), most of my locomotive roster and rolling stock has Micro-Trains couplers.  Sure the newer Bachmann items have Bachmann operating knuckle couplers, but a lot of Bachmann new items for sale still have non-operating knuckle couplers or rapidos.