News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman turntable

Started by CnOtoPennsy, February 03, 2014, 02:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CnOtoPennsy

Hey Y'all, I am wondering a couple of things about the Bachman turntable. First, can anyone give me a definitive degree on the track format. I come up with 20 degrees. Second, and I can almost answer this myself but, is there a roundhouse out there that fits it. I see the haljan one comes in at 10 degrees, and I saw a fella on here, say that it will work, and even ha a pic of his kitbash to make it do so. Any other successful attempts at making a roundhouse work with this turntable?
Thanks for listening Guys and Girls, I'm looking forward to your replies.

Best, Curtis
Thanks, Curtis :)

Doneldon

Curtis-

Bachmann has a turntable with 20o spacing. It has 16 tracks as two spaces are used for the motor house. Most roundhouses can be jiggered around to work with most turntables. That has to do with the length and curvature (if any) of the tracks between the edge of the TT and the RH. Your best bet is to get a RH with the correct spacing in the first place. If you can't find one, go with the closest thing.

The Tidmouth Sheds from the Thomas the Tank Engine line works with Bachmann's 20o TT. They have five stalls and there is an add-on stall if you want to go larger. This RH is of fairly modern design and looks like concrete. It isn't all gussied up like the Victorian Thomas trains so you could use it for a modern US layout. The downside of it is that it is only sold with the TT. You might be able to find one without the TT on eBay or some place but that would just be luck. You'd do best to return the TT you have and use the TT and RH that come together.

The combination of the TT and RH together isn't excessively costly ($220 list), especially since there are five stalls. Most RHs are only three stalls before you have to add expansion kits. But then you get three stalls in most expansion kits, not just one for $57.50! If I were going to use this RH and TT beyond five stalls, I'd buy two combined sets, build a 10-stall RH and sell the extra TT on eBay. I'd buy the combined set again if I wanted to go to 15 stalls and sell that TT too. Of course, 15 stalls at 20o spacing would be a huge structure on anything less than a very, very large layout. In fact, it would be a notable feature on any layout, no matter how large. I'm just estimating but I would say the structure would be around three feet in diameter.
                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D