News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Black rubber Tube

Started by CastlerockNY, February 03, 2014, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlerockNY

We just received our 55 Ton Three-Truck Shay and while unpacking found a strange tube with an air filter at the end (in a pack with the spare couplers).  No where in the diagrams or instructions does it mention this tube.  What is it for? Where do we put it? and Why would we need it on a garden railroad?  Help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

JerryB

Congrats on your new 3 truck Shay!

That tubing is used to simulate the large hose that was carried along the left side of many Shays. On the prototypes, that hose was carried to allow drafting (sucking) of water from creeks and other water sources that were below the level of the locomotive. This was the way engines working in the woods could take on water where there were no water tanks, water columns, or other elevated sources.

Look under the edge of the tank & footboards along the left side of the engine, and you will see several 'hooks.' The hose gets hung from those hooks. Since the prototype was relatively soft rubber, the hose usually sagged from gravity between the hooks.

This is a fine detail that is not included on many Shays in the smaller scales. Bachmann really did a great job on these engines!

On edit: The item that looks like an air filter is actually a fitting with a screen that goes on the end of the hose that is stuck down in the water source. It prevents rocks from being drawn in, thus damaging the pump on the engine. It would usually be left on the end of the hose nearest the front of the engine.

BTW, you should consider 'weathering' the hose prior to installation. The prototype hose would have been made from rubber that was quite dull and somewhat gray (rather than the shiny black of the plastic) in color. The prototype hoses were usually constructed with an outside covering that was wound in a spiral, so it is also appropriate to include that detail in any painting you might do.

Hope this helps!

Happy (well watered) RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

CastlerockNY

Thank you SO much.  We found the hooks and will hang it there.  This shay is very detailed and we're very pleased.

Chuck N

I have a two truck Shay and I found that the tube wasn't stiff enough to hang well.  I put a piece of stiff copper wire through it to add some rigidity.  It worked well for me.

Chuck

If you have a problem hanging it, any metal wire will work, clothes hanger, aluminum wire, etc.