News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale 4-8-4

Started by baldwinmikado, February 06, 2014, 06:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldwinmikado

So I have been wondering about the 4-8-4 northern in at&sf. I've seen them around and I like them, but I've been thinking if it is possible to dcc them. If it is I could use any tips and what chips I should use. I've been looking at the empire builder set with this loco and just wanted to know if dcc was possible. Any help?

Mike C

Yes it's possible, although it's not one that I have done. There may be somebody here  ( Tony ) that has done one, but you might also want to ask over at trainboard.com . You may get a few more experts over there.....Mike

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/forum.php

gatrhumpy

I'm about to do one next weekend. I believe there is enough space near the cab in the locomotive to install a decoder. You just have to isolate the motor.

baldwinmikado

Isolating the motor isn't a problem for me as I've seen it done on many models from many manufacturers as well as some individual endeavors. I will definitely look into trainboard.com for some reference. I've thought about also putting sound in the tender but that means doing some modifications for an electrical supply but I'll look into that later on.
Quote from: gatrhumpy on February 07, 2014, 12:43:43 PM

"I'm about to do one next weekend. I believe there is enough space near the cab in the locomotive to install a decoder. You just have to isolate the motor."

If you wouldn't mind posting some pics of your project for some reference and also what decoder are you going to use?

baldwinmikado

That last line in the qoute was a question I was asking. Don't know how it got there though???

skipgear

I've done a couple of the 4-8-4's. Here is the most recent with a Rivarossi Berkshire tender on the back to create a stand in for a C&O Greenbrier.

Before instaling DCC you need to add tender pickup. The loco will not run worth a darn until you add tender pickup. Richmond controls offers a kit or you can do it yourself by adding wipers on the truck axles to create a half alxe pickup system.

Install the decoder in the tender, it's not worth trying to cram it in the boiler and I would never want to fill in an open cab with a decoder. It takes 6 wires between the loco and tender if you want headlight control and there is plenty of room to route them.

You can barely see the wires in this install...

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

baldwinmikado

Thank you. I will have to look into those kits. Do you plan to renumber yours as I see it is or appears to be freshly painted w/o decals?

gatrhumpy

Quote from: baldwinmikado on February 07, 2014, 12:59:36 PM
That last line in the qoute was a question I was asking. Don't know how it got there though???

It's my friend's 4-8-4, but I'll be installing the decoder. We'll probably go with a Soundtraxx decoder. Once we have the pickups designed, we'll start on the installation and I'll try to take pictures.