36 Ton Shay Boiler Assembly the same as a 55 ton?

Started by primerk5, February 08, 2014, 04:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primerk5

I just got a used 2nd run 36 ton shay. Its missing the injector piping and valve from the right side of the boiler and I would like to fix that. I was wondering if the boiler assembly that Bachmann sells for the 55 ton was the same that was used on the 36 ton. I rather just get the pipe i need but i don't see that that is an option from Bachmann or anywhere else and I don't see pieces of these on ebay.

Thanks for any help

This is my first step into large scale. I want to get a sound device and install it as soon as i figure out how.

Loco Bill Canelos

First of all, welcome to G Scale!!  We are glad to have you.

Even though they are not listed, it just may be that the Bachmann parts department can help you with the parts you need.   I would give them a call, and be ready to give an extremely detailed description of exactly what you need.  While they cannot always help, you never know until you ask.  Click in the parts tab above for more info.

I personally can't help you with the boiler assembly questions you asked about and I hope someone who has both models might be able to reply.

You might be able to make the piping using steel wire which is often available at hobby shops,  and Ozark Miniatures might have a valve casting that would work.

Many brands of sound systems are available, try doing a search on this site using "Sound systems" and see what comes up.  Many sound system companies advertize in Garden Railways Magazine and would be a good starting point to see what is out there.

Again welcome, and enjoy your new loco.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

primerk5

Thanks for the reply!

I hadn't noticed that Bachmann had a parts department phone number to call. I will try them tomorrow. I would like to also purchase the tank and air pump to potentially put on my locomotive as well to accent it. I've thought about using wire for the piping but then I wouldn't have a valve and check in the line. If it comes down to it that's what I will do.

I briefly looked at phoenix sound and the install sure seems complicated. I'm sure i will figure it out. Just hoping to see something someone else has done. Some times there are videos on the subject and I hadn't found any just yet.

Loco Bill Canelos

You might be able to find the valve at Ozark miniatures!!

Sound installation is not as bad as you think.  Phoenix instructions are real good as is their online help.  Use a P8 if you will battery power your loco or a P11 if track power.  All sound systems are basically wired the same and once you do one, you can do the others as well.

This link might be of use on sound

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,26992.msg202106.html#msg202106
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

primerk5

Well the parts guy wasn't able to help. He says they don't sell the individual parts, i have to buy the complete boiler shell to get what i want. Which isn't half of what i want. I was hoping to get some of the other parts i need as well. Maybe I'll watch for a parts loco on ebay. I've never seen one come up but you never know. I even wrote down all the P/Ns off of the PARTS LIST. dern it...

I guess i'll try some of the other sites like was suggested for valves and stuff.