News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

conversion costs

Started by baldwinmikado, February 09, 2014, 05:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldwinmikado

So I have been wondering about the prices for some dcc sound locomotives. I know that many have dc cousins that are just a little bit simpler in design. I started thinking about costs for conversions and kits. So, would it be cheaper to buy a dc loco and buy a dcc sound chip and convert it or is it cheaper to buy an already dcc sound loco? Remember though, I'm not your tech school electrician or 20 year model railroad veteran. I know basic electrical knowledge (soldering, wiring, grounding, lights, pcb boards, etc). I.E- would it be easier and cheaper to buy preinstalled or install myself

bobwrgt

Unless you really like to tinker and have very good soldering skill for n scale I would purchase engines with DCC and sound factory installed. Just plugging in a DCC decoder is one thing but making room for a speaker is another. If the system is factory installed the components will match and you have a warranty if something goes wrong. For the price of the separate components you can get them in a new engine already installed.
Shop around.

baldwinmikado

You do have a point but I love to tinker with stuff but I know a lot of people complain when it comes to speaker installation and decoder and speaker choice. I also wouldn't want to mess up a good decoder or engine from my mistake so you have another point there

Roget

Unless you have a perticular loco in mind that you cannot get in DCC, or DCC w/sound, I would recommend purchasing one already set up.

On some locos it is a matter of simply removing the shell and plopping in a decoder. On others not so easy.

If I can get it in DCC or DCC w/sound I will spend the money. I have purchased several that were just "DCC ready" because they were not available with the DCC decoder or sound.
Invariably they have cost me more in the end to get them to the state I wanted.

richg

Check the Bachmann catalogue. There are DCC on board and DCC with sound on board.

Rich

richg

Digitrax and TCS have N scale non sound decoders. About $20.

SoundTraxx and LokSound have N scale sound decoders. Figure around $100 depending on where you buy them.

Rich