News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A new layout!

Started by wiley209, February 10, 2014, 09:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

Leaving a non dc equipped loco idling will burn out the motor eventually since it will overheat.  As to the smoke it will not damage the loco but it leaves an oily mess.

jward

smoke and dcc do not mix. you will find the smoke condenses on the rails and making operation on dcc erratic.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on May 17, 2014, 03:46:25 PM
smoke and dcc do not mix. you will find the smoke condenses on the rails and making operation on dcc erratic.

Agreed.

Smoke is, in general, a bad idea, DCC or straight DC.  It gets over everything and leaves a sticky film.  Besides, it's not even realistic looking, just a cheesy effect.

Cheers

Roger T.

wiley209

Quote from: Joe323 on May 17, 2014, 10:35:16 AM
Leaving a non dc equipped loco idling will burn out the motor eventually since it will overheat.  As to the smoke it will not damage the loco but it leaves an oily mess.

Which is why I am going to add an electrically-isolated siding for that purpose!

As for the smoke, I imagine once the stuff is used up in the engine I won't add any more smoke liquid for some time...

Doneldon

wiley-

I agree with the others that smoke is a bad idea except if you have some young children who would get a kick out of it. Even at that, I'd only use it very occasionally.

For clarification, I'm sure that Joe meant "Leaving a non-DCC equipped loco idling will burn out the motor eventually since it will overheat."i] Eventually [/i]should probably be interpreted as pretty soon.
                                                                   -- D

wiley209

Quote from: Doneldon on May 17, 2014, 07:23:46 PM
For clarification, I'm sure that Joe meant "Leaving a non-DCC equipped loco idling will burn out the motor eventually since it will overheat."i] Eventually [/i]should probably be interpreted as pretty soon.
                                                                   -- D

Yeah, that's what I figured. This is why I typically don't leave non-DCC locomotives on the layout, particularly now that I have three DCC-equipped locos to play with. BUT, I will have one of my sidings electrically isolated, so I can turn the power to it off and on, making it easy to park a non-DCC locomotive there! (I will be using an Atlas Connector, terminal rail joiner and insulated plastic joiner for this trick.)

rogertra

Quote from: wiley209 on May 18, 2014, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: Doneldon on May 17, 2014, 07:23:46 PM
                                                                   -- D

Yeah, that's what I figured. This is why I typically don't leave non-DCC locomotives on the layout, particularly now that I have three DCC-equipped locos to play with. BUT, I will have one of my sidings electrically isolated, so I can turn the power to it off and on, making it easy to park a non-DCC locomotive there! (I will be using an Atlas Connector, terminal rail joiner and insulated plastic joiner for this trick.)

A siding or a spur?  There is a major difference.

A siding is double connected and serves as a meeting place for trains and is named in the timetable.  It is a "running line".

A spur is a single connected track that serves an industry or as a single ended track in a yard.  It is not a "running line".

Cheers

Roger T.

wiley209

Quote from: rogertra on May 18, 2014, 12:42:10 AM

A siding is double connected and serves as a meeting place for trains and is named in the timetable.  It is a "running line".

A spur is a single connected track that serves an industry or as a single ended track in a yard.  It is not a "running line".

Sometimes the source I'd read would refer a spur to a "siding," and then the above type would be a "passing siding."
But what I am planning to make is a spur (the electrically-isolated one.)

rogertra

Quote from: wiley209 on May 18, 2014, 06:01:28 PM
Quote from: rogertra on May 18, 2014, 12:42:10 AM

Sometimes the source I'd read would refer a spur to a "siding," and then the above type would be a "passing siding."
But what I am planning to make is a spur (the electrically-isolated one.)

Upon reflection, I have to agree.  Even prototype sources mix spur and siding as you noted.

Cheers

Roger T.

Joe323

Yes eventually means pretty soon. I have 13 locos of which 7 are dcc equipped.  They operate the SIW The rest are shelf queens.

wiley209

I tried experimenting with an elevated track on my layout...

While an interesting concept, it was rather cumbersome to try and fit on the layout anyways. I may revive it for any future layouts...

I have now connected the two spurs to the rest of the track! One of them is electrically-isolated, using an Atlas Connector switch, terminal joiner and plastic insulating joiner. This way I can park a non-DCC locomotive on the layout with ease.

Current overview.

I will also be getting another decoder to upgrade one of my Walthers TrainLine locomotives (the TCS T1.)

Br 98.75

Speaking of smoke KM1 is doing awsome with the dynamic smoke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0iGOSuVvg

Its only $4099.00 for those with that kind of money

jbrock27

I'll take 2 !! :D

Agree Wiley, elevations can be a pita and they can eat up a lot of layout space. But, they do add interest to the layout.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

I may have to stop in at Reynaulds next time I  drive through Elburn , IL . and take a look . They do have some  interesting stuff on display. John 2 .

wiley209

OK, so I removed the smoke unit from the Consolidation, due to the advice I've gotten that smoke and HO DCC do not mix (even though the track is nickel-silver, it's better not to take chances.) I also did a bit of cleaning and lubing. BUT, the wheels are a little lose, and that can make for some inconsistent electrical contact. It was like this when I got it. I remember the old version of the Consolidation from the '70s and '80s had this problem, along with the older pancake-motor USRA 0-6-0 steam locomotive. Anyone have advice for this?

It also looks like it would be very tricky to put DCC in it anyways; I may just keep it as a non-DCC locomotive and park it on that isolated siding when not in use on my layout. But I plan to upgrade my Walthers TrainLine locomotives next, since they are rather easy in terms of hardwire DCC upgrades. (Was that their intention?)
Currently I have three DCC-equipped locomotives: the Bachmann BNSF GP40-2 that came with the E-Z Command controls, a Bachmann Santa Fe Warbonnet FT-A, and my Life-Like Proto 1000 Santa Fe F3-A (blue/yellow colors.) Not a bad start, if I say so myself.