News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dem bulbs

Started by M1FredQ, February 11, 2014, 02:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

Ive been on this quest to easily replace the lights in the WBB F-3s, F-7, some of the steamers.

well through the knowledgeable folks on this forum there is an electronics company that has the bulbs you literally screw in and wa-la youre done thats what i like!!

now I need to know what voltage those nose lights on the F-3, F-7, Berkshire , Hudson and GG-1 are because this company offers a 12 and a 24 volt choice.

this is exciting as finally we can have "bright lights"  without the heat or draw of power>

Thanks in advance I will post results when I get this done.

phillyreading

Fred,
Buy one of each and see which is the brightness you want, before buying a whole lot of bulbs. Just remember which is which, write down what engine got the 12 volt bulb and what got the 24 volt bulb.
Let us know how things work out for you.

Lee F.

wmwalker

Fred
What Lee suggested would be the way to go. I bet the 24volt would be a better choice but let us know what you use and how it turned out.  :)
Thanks
Wyatt

M1FredQ

thanks guys

i will put the order in tomorrow. the fella that called me back was really nice and helpful. he was VERY interested

that this was hobby train related.

i am on this!!!

He also said they had red yellow and green.

i was wondering if there is a bulb for the cab in the F units would a yellow light be OK?

wmwalker

Fred
The yellow might work. It would be like a soft white light maybe. Keep us all posted and maybe some pictures when you are finished.  :)
Thanks
Wyatt

M1FredQ

M1FredQ

I put the order in and ordered one of each a 12 and a 24

I also ordered a yellow. The person I spoke to said it gives off a nice yellow hue which would look good from a cab.

I called Bachmann and the service person mentioned all engines will be using LEDs from now on as regular bulbs are being discontinued and difficult to find. He also mentioned the sound systems on all engines are going to be upgraded.

sounds like good news ahead.The service person was real short as he was on another call.

to be continued!!!

M1FredQ

Fly in the ointment as I received a e-mail from UPS that my order was cancelled.

When I called Saturday the electronics place is closed weekends.

I'll on Monday and post what's going on.

r0gruth

Fred,

The higher voltage lamp will last longer than the lower voltage one.
The lower voltage bulbs will be brighter but burn out quicker.
Your choice.
Roger

M1FredQ

thanks for the info !!!

M1FredQ

rOgruth

I called Monday and got everything straightened out. some glitch in the shipping department.

I also talked to my contact person about what you said.

You "is" correct rO.                           the contact told me the 12 will be a little brighter and yes will burn out sooner the 24 will be nice and bright but will last a very long time!!!!!!!

I plan to use my WBB F-7 ACL units for this experiment I will put the 24 in the powered "A" unit and the 12volt in the non-powered "A" unit.

i will do my best to learn photobucket so I can learn to post pictures and give a report.

thanks everyone.

M1FredQ

bulbs arrived today!!!!

i hope to get to it this weekend

M1FredQ

Just a question.

Is there a video that shows how to remove the shell from a O-Gauge F-7 safely???

I don't want to accidently scratch up my ACL F-7

Len

The 12V bulb is basically "stock". The 24V bulb is aimed at folks using TMCC or DCS, where you have a constant 18V on the track, to operate their trains.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

phillyreading

Quote from: M1FredQ on February 21, 2014, 11:07:29 AM
Just a question.

Is there a video that shows how to remove the shell from a O-Gauge F-7 safely???

I don't want to accidently scratch up my ACL F-7

Do you have the Williams F-7 A unit? If so you must remove two screws at either end of the diesel engine underneath. Turn the truck assembly to the right or the left to get access to the screws. I think the newer WBB F-7's would be the same, not sure as I don't own the newer WBB F-7. After removing the screws simply hold the truck assembly and pull up on the shell, it should come off by pulling straight up.
Be careful how you re-install the back step assembly, as it can get mounted in the wrong direction and cause binding and/or derailing on turns, if that happens just remove it and re-install in the other direction. The correct position is with the step assembly bar having the straight part of the bar facing the front of the engine or the small indents that stick out go to the rear.
The F-7 B units that I have don't have a light bulb as they are from the Crown Edition and have Station Sound unit inside them. To remove the shell you must remove the same four screws and turn the truck the same way to access the screws.

Lee F.