News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F9 rear truck and motor assy.

Started by drats5, February 25, 2014, 07:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drats5

I've worn out the motor in my EMD F9 Diesel and it calls for a #2106 rear truck and motor assy. for replacement. My question is. Is there a more reliable motor assy. that will give better power and smoother operation ?

richg

Quote from: drats5 on February 25, 2014, 07:53:46 PM
I've worn out the motor in my EMD F9 Diesel and it calls for a #2106 rear truck and motor assy. for replacement. My question is. Is there a more reliable motor assy. that will give better power and smoother operation ?

Hate to tell you but this is the year 2014. That loco is long out of production.
Look in the parts page at the diagrams for what Bachmann sells now.
Also look in the catalog page.

Bachmann might replace it for $25.00 with an equivalent model.
Ebay "might" have a motor and truck but no better.

Rich

jbrock27

A better locomotive is any modern one, that has a can motor.  Lots of better choices out there now.  You can either put the money there or follow the suggestion of rolling the dice to see if it gets replaced with an upgraded model by the B'mann.  But, I do not see the F9 among the current HO offerings, so I don't know how that would be possible.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

A few years ago I had a Bachmann two motor 44 ton which is not produced anymore. I sent it in with the fee and received a single motor 44 ton, a better loco.
I am quite sure Bachmann will replace it with a quality loco. The present locos like was said, are much better pullers.

Rich

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

I would guess an F7 from what I see in the online catalog. Hope his F9 is not a special shell.

Rich

jbrock27

These are things that are important for the OP to be aware of as part of his consideration of what to do.
I do not know if they are compatible either (the shells) but I do know an FT shell fits on an Plus F7 frame, so it could be possible.  Best if OP looked at the exploded diagrams for both to see what can be seen.

Road name availability, another consideration. Not one of the B'mann's stronger suits IMHO.

One more thing if he sends it in, I hope he is not in hurry to get anything back.

...and, it is $25 plus the cost of shipping it to Philly.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO1000

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 25, 2014, 09:37:47 PM
Just not an F9, right?
f9 pancake motor sold in the 1990s HAD a couple ,the shells fit the plus series frame ,Burned up a few of those ,but acquired a Bachmann Plus drive and the shell  clips to he tank like it does on the plastic frame of the pancake motor single drive unit version,Hope this helps,,
!JACK

jbrock27

Thank you for the info Jack.
Sounds like, between our experiences, there is a good possibility that "F" unit shells from one Bachmann era are likely to fit on chassis from other Bachmann eras.     
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jeff A