News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

mounting screw sizes

Started by oldhhobbyreborn, February 12, 2014, 10:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhhobbyreborn

Ok so I am going to convert all My 0-6-0 locos to 2-6-2 ,found leading and trailing trucks no problem,,,even found the springs. Problem is the mounting screws,.anybody have an idea as to the length and diameter or where I can find them in the bachman site  ???

richg

Quote from: oldhhobbyreborn on February 12, 2014, 10:19:39 PM
Ok so I am going to convert all My 0-6-0 locos to 2-6-2 ,found leading and trailing trucks no problem,,,even found the springs. Problem is the mounting screws,.anybody have an idea as to the length and diameter or where I can find them in the bachman site  ???

Check the Parts page. Lots of parts for the different locos. The screws are Metric.
Doubt you find them at a hardware store. Maybe a hobby shop if you knew the size.
Some years ago I bought a variety of 00-90, 0-80, 1-72, 2-56 SAE screws and taps and replace Metric with a slightly large SAE screw.
A couple pin vise and tiny drill set is a big help. Many time I have tapped a Metric hole with a SAE tap and did not have to drill.

Rich

oldhhobbyreborn

Was trying to avoid that. You would think you could find them in parts,,,they list them for n gauge. But could not find them for Ho

richg

Quote from: oldhhobbyreborn on February 12, 2014, 11:10:09 PM
Was trying to avoid that. You would think you could find them in parts,,,they list them for n gauge. But could not find them for Ho

Not necessarily. It cost to stock a lot of parts that modellers should have on hand.
I leaned many years ago to get the stuff needed for model railroading.
Micro Mark has a good supply of tools and parts.

Look at the loco diagrams for possible part numbers and look and see if the same parts are used in other models.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on February 12, 2014, 11:19:58 PM

Not necessarily. It cost to stock a lot of parts that modellers should have on hand.
I leaned many years ago to get the stuff needed for model railroading.
Micro Mark has a good supply of tools and parts.

Look at the loco diagrams for possible part numbers and look and see if the same parts are used in other models.

Rich

I agree with Rich, "modelers" should have on hand a supply of all the common screws used in model railroad equipment.  They should also have on hand the requisite jeweler's screw driver sets, miniature drill bits, jeweler's files, multimeter, soldiering iron, flux and soldier and all the other odds and ends tools required to make their own repairs.  The average modeller should be able to repair your typical plastic steam or diesel on their own workbench.  Unless the motor is toast or a major component is broken, most repairs can be made at home.  In fact, even motors and major broken parts can be replaced by the average modeller with average modelling skills.

Cheers.

Roger.

oldhhobbyreborn

Ok I have the tools,,,,I have the know how,,,,been doing this off and on for 40 plus years. I'm a machinist with the equipment needed,,,,just looking for a size rather than having to modify  NEW engines,,,,parts offers an assortment of screws for n gauge,,thought they might for Ho is all

Len

Best on-line source of small screws I've found is Micro-Fasteners. They have small metric and inch screws of all kinds.

Web page is: http://www.microfasteners.com/

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richg

Been retired as a machine mechanic since 2006.

I have a lap pad when working on a loco or car for errant hardware.

Never had to replace missing hardware in all my locos. At one time, once in a great while before I started using the lap pad.

Rich

ebtnut

The other items you should have on your workbench are taps for the screws.  Since so many models these days use metric screws, you should have the taps for them.  The common metric screws (all in millimeters), are 1.2, 1.4, 1.7, 2.0 and 2.6.  Early brass imports often used 1.0mm shouldered valve gear screws.  They were great substitutes for the more common valve gear rivits like Mantua and Penn Line/Bowser used.

For U.S. models, the usual screws are 00-90, 0-80, 1-72 and 2-56. 

jbsmith

my best guess is they are 2/56  screws, I would be surprised if they were anything else.

if we are lucky the Bachmann himself will confirm or deny that.

Woody Elmore

Northwest Short Line used to carry metric taps and drill sizes. They also had metric screw assortments. That was before the company was sold. I'm sure the new owners didn't make drastic changes. Try www.NWSL.com for online information.

Good luck.

Len

Micro-Fasteners has metric taps and dies from 2mm - 8mm, Micro-Mark has a metric tap set that includes M1.6x.35, M2.0x.40, M2.5x.45, M3.0x.50 and M4.0x.70 taps.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

I'm pretty sure, since all the Bachmann equipment is built overseas, that the screws would all be metric.  The truck mounting screws are likely 2mm.

jonathan

If one were to look up "HO Screw" under the part dept, the result would yield no less than 191 products.  And, if one were to study those 191 products closely (I know someone who has), one would notice there are only about 5 types of screws used to build all Bachmann HO products.  The most common screw is the roundhead phillips machine screw which is cut to various lengths depending on the need.

I think I would be able to determine the screw I need by looking at the photos.  At 25 cents each, I would select all five types of screw and buy them.  I'm sure I would find a need for the others in the future.  That's just my twisted way of looking at it.  Hope that is helpful.

Regards,

Jonathan