News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 3 Truck Climax DCC

Started by Grandpagator, February 12, 2014, 10:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandpagator

Has anyone heard about any problems with the gears not working on this engine?  The motor is running, and the rods are moving, but the engine does not move.  Anyone else run into this problem?   This engine has only been run several times over the last year.
Thanks

oldhhobbyreborn

Aré the drive shafts turning,,,,,i hard to reattach mine right out of the box

richg

The On30 and HO are long known to have gear issues. Usually cracking gears
Sometime ago the Bach-Man posted about replacements. They are sticky messages.

Check the On30 and HO forums. There are many discussions about the drive issues for the Shays and Climaxes, here and many other forums.

Rich

HDiedrichs

Are the drive shafts inserted into the hexagonal drive tubes? You pick these things up and the shafts pop out.

Ken Huck

I only had to reinsert the drive shaft on the third truck.  The pin holding the water tender fell out during shipping
and caused the tender to bob back and forth causing the separation.  After completely disassembling one of
these, it's hard to imagine that something may have broke.  The transmission has all new white nylon gears and
the gears in the trucks have a reinforcing ring on the back side of the bevel.  Even getting the u-joint separated
from the truck was difficult (it required gentle prying with a small screwdriver).  Check those drive shafts and let us
know what you find.

Ken

Grandpagator

Thanks for the response Ken.  All the drives are hooked up, but not turning when the power is applied.  I hear the motor running and the side valves are going in an out. 
Grandpagator

Ken Huck

I'd say it's definitely in the transmission then, especially if the side rods are pumping.  You may have to return it
to Bachmann for replacement or repair, depending on your warranty situation.  I'd give them a call and see what
they say.

Grandpagator

Thanks Ken,
I have been trying to call them, but has been busy all day.  They sent me this engine after I sent my Shay in for repair.  Unfortunately it has been over a year.  From what I read, they now require a payment of $45.00 just to look at it.  Thanks again for your help.
Grandpagator