News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO/OO

Started by TrainDude645, February 06, 2014, 07:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Magee

Doneldon, OO scale is 1:76, not 1:72 which is the domain of Airfix plastic plane kits.

Steve

Irbricksceo

Quote from: Doneldon on February 11, 2014, 01:54:20 PM
Quote from: Irbricksceo on February 11, 2014, 11:23:03 AM
All OO coaches I have seen look a bit too big. They are similar in length but a bit taller and wider than looks quite right.

Irb-

If the trains are real "OO," they are 1:72 scale which makes them about 15% larger than HO.
Actually, they are just over half again as big (~1.153).
                                                                                     -- D

I know that scaling, the appearance is somewhat closer because of the British equipment being smaller, though the doors give it away, Props for the use of the Square Cube Law by the way.

back to the OP's question, the "best" is highly dependant on what you are looking for since different companies have different prices, detail levels, and build quality. A lot of people like the expensive Walthers and COn-cor, still others like the Bachmann which are well built and look nice while not being as pricy. I personally like both Bachmann and Athearn.

Keep in mind the Radius required, many coaches do not run well on lower radii.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

TD-

That's a tough question because there are so many variables, the most important being what railroad(s) you prefer. It would do no good to recommend (i.e., express my personal opinion about) the best SP Daylight set if you want to model the Pennsy. So tell us what railroads interest you most. Then, plastic or brass? Price range? Full scale 80'-85' cars or shorties to look better on tight curves? Vintage is important: old time, wood, heavyweight era, lightweights or AMTRAK? Interiors? Lights? RTR or kit?

Help us out with a little more information and we'll try to return the favor with our ideas.
                                                                                                                                     -- D

rogertra

Quote from: TrainDude645 on February 11, 2014, 07:34:52 AM
I dont really care about the couplers I can easily modify them what I want to know is the size of the model pullmans compared to other ho coaches I am asking about the pullmans because those are the coaches that come in the train set that I was looking at

OO scale UK coaches are around 12 inches long.

Hope that helps.

TrainDude645

Doneldon-I like streamlined and coaches like the daylight and I also really like high speed trains. Is the kato shinkansen worth the 37o dollar price and exprensive shipping from japan or should I stick to Piko ICE and bachmann acela?

Doneldon

TD-

All three of the sets you mention are solid performers. Kato certainly makes high quality trains but only you can decide if the Shinkansen's appearance, performance or quality are worth spending roughly double what you'd have to pay for Acela or ICE. I wouldn't make that choice myself but then I'm not a big fan of foreign trains (the US has plenty of stuff to keep my busy!), high-speed trains or super modern equipment. I do like much of the early, lightweight, streamlined, American equipment but my real preference is the late heavyweight era.

Keep in mind that the quality of your trackwork and layout maintenance (including the trains) have to improve as the speed of the trains goes up. Unless you enjoy those aspects of the hobby and have the requisite skills to keep your setup in top form high-speed trains might not be for you. And only you know if your layout is large enough to allow you to enjoy fast trains quickly making the circuit and repeatedly zooming past the same spot.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

wjstix

I believe real British coaches tend to be shorter than we're used to in the US. I think 60-70' are the norm, rather than 80-85' length that's been typical in the US for many decades.

So, if my math is right a 70' long OO coach would be 280mm long, and an HO 80' passenger car would be 280mm long...so they models would be the same length, but the OO model would be a bit wider and higher.

rogertra

Quote from: wjstix on February 13, 2014, 05:48:34 PM
I believe real British coaches tend to be shorter than we're used to in the US. I think 60-70' are the norm, rather than 80-85' length that's been typical in the US for many decades.

So, if my math is right a 70' long OO coach would be 280mm long, and an HO 80' passenger car would be 280mm long...so they models would be the same length, but the OO model would be a bit wider and higher.

As I said earlier, UK passenger cars are about 12" long.  Actually about 11.0236" but who's going to quibble?

Cheers

Roger.