News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dcc and layout size

Started by Dieselman, February 13, 2014, 04:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselman

I am new to dcc and wondering how large of an ho layout the dynamis system will operate. Does it depend on the size of the layout or on the amount of trains you run? I am building a 12ft x12ft layout

AGSB

The number of locos that you operate is the more governing element than the size of the layout (within reason).  The Dynamis is sufficient for your 12x12 layout.  The Dynamis is capable of 2.5 amps output, so as long as the total number of units you operate does not exceed this amperage draw you are OK. The Dynamis Guide states that you should be able to operate up to 6 modern locos with 5 pole scew wound motors at the same time.  However, bear in mind that  the more functions in the decoder, the more current it will require. If you anticipate more power requirements, then you will have to look into getting a power booster or running fewer locos.

A good source of information can be found here.

Len

Keep in mind, just like with a DC layout, the more track you put in your layout, the more power feeders you'll need to it. Except for the most basic loop of track, the old saw about, "You only need to connect two wires with DCC.", is a myth.

Whether it's DC or DCC, track is not that great an electrical conductor.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Dieselman

Thanks for the information. I'm about to throw the dynamis in the trash though, it loses the signal at about 5 feet away

jward

add another feeder to the track where it loses signal. and make sure you keep the rails and wheels clean.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Dieselman

It's brand new track and I've only got 6 feet layed down, the dynamis system uses an infra red signal

Doneldon

Deez-

Don't be so quick to scrap your Dynamis; it's a good system. The range of your IR remote is completely different from how much track or how many locomotives the system will run. Problems with the IR remote are usually related to either the placement of the receiver or the batteries in the remote controller. RF is better, IMHO, because it's omnidirectional. IR is only sort of omnidirectional.

Check the batteries in your remote first as that's the easiest thing to correct. If your system is still frustrating you, try moving the receiver to a prominent location and point the controller at it. IR will spread around many rooms, depending on distances and the reflectance of surfaces in the room. I know some people actually install mirrors so they can access their receivers from around a corner or a remote part of a room. You can add a second receiver but you shouldn't need to do that unless your receiver is in a bad location. It should be easier, and cheaper, to relocate it than to add another.

The Dynamis is adequately powered for most home HO layouts unless you plan to run many trains with more than one loco, all of your locos have sound, or you'll be operating your turnouts with the DCC system. If any of those are the case, it will be significantly less expensive to add a more powerful booster than to go to a whole new system. Keep in mind that you can use anyone's booster which gives you many options and price points if you must increase system power.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

Dieselman

Thanks deez, I used the batteries that came with the system and it probably sat on the shelf for a pretty good while. I will try new batteries tomorrow. I've been out of the hobby for the past 30 years and dcc is all new to me. I love the sound and think the grand kids will too.

AGSB

There is nothing in the Dynamis manual about this, but from other forums I have read that the signal range limit is 160 to 170 degrees horizontally (80 to 85 degrees left and right of centre) and 60 degrees vertically (30 degrees above and below centre). Exceed these limits and you loose signal between the handset and base station.
As far as distance is concerned, I just checked my system and I can still control a loco at 18 feet (that's as long as my room is). I do have new batteries in my handset and I use rechargeable batteries and always have a freshly charged set on stand by.
As an aside, I have been able to "bounce" the IR signal off the wall to reach the base station as I have light coloured walls in my train room. I now have the Pro Box expansion unit and have an extra receiver so don't do this any more.
If you are adamant about trashing your system, send it to me and I'll gladly take it to the dump for you. ;D

Dieselman

I think I will just try new batteries first, it sounds like the system should be fine for my layout so I will hang on to it for a little while