News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 stops and starts randomly

Started by teddavis07, February 13, 2014, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmainbrian

Question how Big / Long are your turns on your layout.... Depending on degree of turns your steam loco might be BINDING... Watch your Loco very closely @ the wheels as they go through a turn for Binding issues & watch closely for any signs of the locos wheels Binding against the track rails... I dont run any steam on my layout " I model the diesel era witch is 16ft long x 6 ft wide... 2 track main..  3 track interchange.. 9 track yard... & run NCE DCC on my layout.. But try what it I suspect you have a Binding issue on the track rails around your turns...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

teddavis07

With the 2-8-0 laying on its side, and having alligator clips attached to the tender's trucks, I removed the eight pin connector for the Tsunami and replaced it with a non-sound decoder.  When I dialed up the loco, it ran without stuttering.  I reattached the Tsunami board and the stuttering returned.  It was suggested to reset the decoder, so I did that, and it still has this stuttering issue.  So that tells me it has something to do with the sound board from Soundtraxx.  I will call them on Monday for advice.  There must be a CV that can smooth this stuttering out.  I will post my results on Monday. Until then, if any of you have a suggestion for a CV value to change, let me know.
Thanks, Ted

Br 98.75

I have 6 tsunami sound steam locos and they all needed a computer reset and adjustment before they run the was they do now.

trainmainbrian

Question how Big / Long are your turns on your layout.... Depending on degree of turns your steam loco might be BINDING... Watch your Loco very closely @ the wheels as they go through a turn for Binding issues & watch closely for any signs of the locos wheels Binding against the track rails... I dont run any steam on my layout " I model the diesel era witch is 16ft long x 6 ft wide... 2 track main..  3 track interchange.. 9 track yard... & run NCE DCC on my layout.. But try what it I suspect you have a Binding issue on the track rails around your turns...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: trainmainbrian on February 15, 2014, 08:11:31 PM

TB
If he swapped the decoder and the problem went away, why would you still suspect a binding issue.
I believe the decoder is faulty.

Jerry

jbrock27

I do too, even though I know next to nothing about DCC.  In looking at the pattern here: problem with Tsunami decoder in, no more problem with Tsunami out, problem returns with Tsunami back in.  Did I follow that right?
Keep Calm and Carry On

teddavis07

I'm still scratching my head here.  The tech at Soundtraxx suggested changing CV 12 to 0 and CV 29 to 34 so it would run digitally only.  CV 29 was already set to 34, but CV 12 was set to 1, so I changed it to zero and the loco still stuttered.  The tech also suggested running the loco on DC.  It ran fine.  But I'm running DCC.  Since I'm using wireless throttles, I thought I would try the loco with the built in throttle...no stuttering!  So I thought maybe the batteries were low in the wireless throttle. They were, so I changed them out.  Ugh, the loco still stutters with the wireless throttle.  This is me standing with the wireless throttle directly above the antenna unit for best reception and the locomotive is still off the tracks, laying on its' side with alligator clips attached to the tender's trucks.  So now I'm assuming it must be a reception issue or loss of signal if the built-in throttle is able to run the loco without stuttering.
I'll be calling the EasyDCC tech's for further suggestions tomorrow.

GRZ

wow- very interesting, I have the same 2-8-0 and the same problem, iv had it apart many times looking, and never did it run any different. I love this thing BUT! the guys at the club [in a nice way] say don't bring that thing back till its fixed. I hope you can come up with a fix .my 2-8-0 is on display at the station. would love to out it back in service. good luck. GRZ. ;D

teddavis07

Hi Everybody,

I finally got this random stuttering figured out.  It turns out one of my wireless throttles needs a software upgrade from EasyDCC folks.  They had upgraded one of my two throttles a few years ago and this upgraded throttle runs the 2-8-0 without a problem.  But when I use the offending throttle, the 2-8-0 stutters.  Al, the person from EasyDcc, helped me figure this out on Friday.  I learned a lot through this process. So, I wanted to say thank you to those who made suggestions along the way.  Thanks again, Ted

HDiedrichs

Those locos have bad wheel binding problems. One side is not a full 90 degrees with the other. This cause a sort of stall, start effect

billbaio

I acquired a 2 8 0 Baldwin Spectrum and have run up against this issue as well.  It's also a good idea to make sure the tender pick ups are making good contact.  That did it for me.

HDiedrichs

I had to put washers in my tenders to weight them down.